Troubleshooting turntable playback problem

Username: Zurn

Albuquerque, NM

Post Number: 1
I have a Technics SL-1800, and some time ago bought a new cartridge for it, a Stanton 500E MKII.

At the time, it noticed a change in the sound, but now i'm getting flat out bugged by it!

Overall the sound is good--mostly more crisp and clear than before, but from the beginning i thought it was a bit "tinny"--that is, the treble was pretty extreme.

Normally i like a lot of treble, but lately i've noticed that on vocal tracks, where "s" sounds are pronounced, i hear a bit of fuzziness, almost as if it goes to a "shh" sound. I've noticed this particularly with a 45 that has a lot of that sound in it, and it's gotten to me.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Here's what i've done: used a protrator to check cart alignment, reset arm height and weight, all that stuff.

Is it just a difference with this cart that i'm not used to?

thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3743

There could be several reasons you may now notice sibilance. You didn't mention what cartridge you had previous to the Stanton, how long you had it or why you decided to change the cartridge and not just stylus. That leaves open a lot of possibilities that I can't address. Still the Stanton may be mistracking due to a set up problem. The stylus on the Stanton may simply be hitting a spot in the groove that the old stylus either never reached or cut out of the records. As a stylus wears the egde profile changes and it can no longer trace the very small modulations which make for clean sound. Highly modulated areas may simply be removed by the stylus and cannot be replaced. A new stylus with a different profile might possibly be hitting those spots where the record has been damaged.

Here's some things to check. If the breakup is in both channels, the answer might be cartridge tracking force (too light), cartridge alignment or VTA. If the distortion is in one channel only, check antiskating and azimuth. If the distortion is only on older records that were played by the old cartridge, give the records a good cleaning with a vacuum type cleaning system. If you have used a wet cleaner on the discs without a vacuum to remove the fluid, the stylus may simply be finding grunge that the old stylus couldn't reach.

Albuquerque, NM

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jan,

Here's the whole history: the Technics came with an older Shure cart (don't have the model on me), and i bought a new stylus or two for it. I was pretty conscientious about not over-using them, and so when the time came to get a new one, i think the place i bought it from didn't have any, and i thought maybe i should upgrade the cart just to simplify getting new styli later on. I didn't have any particular problem with it beyond that however. The record that i've noticed it most on was never played with the Shure--in fact is brand new (see below).

I will look into whether it's on both sides or not, and look at your adjustment suggestions accordingly.

Also, keep in mind that the difference is not very noticeable: i usually don't consider myself very picky about this stuff, but over time it's made me wonder!

I have done a lot of recording from vinyl to my computer, and last night i re-recorded a tune that i had recorded years earlier using the Shure--the difference was barely perceptible, but there. And the overall feel of the sound is ever-so-slightly different in good and bad ways: the recent one was just slightly...i keep wanting to say "higher," yet more detailed and crisp, but the older Shure recording seemed slightly deeper and fuller somehow.

I would probably have never noticed the difference except for this particular 45rpm 7" i've been playing a lot--the vocals have a lot of "s"s! This was a brand new pressing, too.

I didn't think anything of the noise at first until i then recorded a different record to CD for a friend, and heard some of the same kind of "s" noise. Thus, paranoia started sinking in...;-)...partially around the question of whether it has damaged any of the records in question.

That is, i readjusted many of those attributes, but the 7" still sounds the same--if it's damaged how can i know if i've improved anything?

Thanks again for your help!

steve

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3748

You may just be hearing the different frequency balance between the two cartridges. A brighter cartridge or speaker will often accentuate the sibilance.

Bronze Member
Username: Dvautier

Bellevue, Wa Usa

Post Number: 15
Try a record of excellent quality before condemning your cart.

I have noticed that the "sloppy s" is usually the result of gorilla activity (somebody using a really bad cart with a monster tracking force that just mows down the highs). Since I do collect a lot of my older records from garage sales and second hand stores, I have no way of telling if the record is clean. The pops and cracle can usually be filtered out but the "sloppy s" is bad news, plain and simple.

good luck with any solution you can find.

Albuquerque, NM

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the reply--the funny thing is that at this point it is only a brand new record that i hear it on. At least, it's barely noticeable on many other records (of differing vintages), but a new 45 is where i hear it.

I finally noticed that the stylus-piece that slides onto the cartridge ends up crooked, however. I've managed to right it by mounting the cartridge to account for it, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

For the most part, it's fine--i just wonder about this and other 45s. I may have to get another cart for comparison's sake still.

Walter Graham
Unregistered guest
I had the same problem (Numark TT1520 direct drive, used, Stanton catridge (h4?), pickering NP/AC) and I turned the antiskating all the way down and it seems to have disappeared.

What does antiskating do and will it damage the record?

Unregistered guest
i had problem with my printer (canon pixma ip1000),
i got warning "the absorber ink is full" what can i do?
trims

Unregistered guest
Hi I am having a problem with a dimond stereo stylus I replaced on a sony ps-x30 runing to a teac ag vs900 audio video stereo receiver.whan i play any record I need to floor the volum just to here it, is there a different stylus (st37/47) that might work as this one does not seem compaitable...Cory

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6530

Did you just recently hook this up to discover this problem?

Unregistered guest
Its been sitting for years, just recently hooked ot up want to listen to my old vinal, A long time ago I remember having similar problem and it was the wrong needel that I bought or am i just geeting old and forgetfull?...Cory

thefox
Unregistered guest
I have a Technics SL 1200 MK2 turntable and have never had a problem with it until last night. After hearing a buzz in the line and realizing my ground came loose, I reconnected the ground cable. Upon doing this, the left channel audio dropped out completely. I now have no left channel audio and I know it is not my stereo b/c all other devices are working on the left channel. Any thoughts ?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6733

My thought is your pre amp/receiver has common line level inputs for all the other devices and a separate input for phono. So the problem could be in your electronics. Or, it could be in your cartridge, or your cables or the interface between the cartridge outputs and the table outputs.

The point is you've made a poor assumption and have provided no information to guide anyone along a path of helping you.

How did the ground wire "come loose"? That would be my first clue as to where to investigate the new problem.

Unregistered guest
I just bought a pair of used Numark tt1520 tables the other day, ( they appear to be in good shape) and brought them home. Upon attempting to hook them up to my numark DM1050 mixer, i was unable to get sound from the one. I have grounded it properly, have hooked up the RCA's to the correspoding channels, and attemted to toggle between my "line" and "Phono" swithes on the front panel, and at the back. Nothing happens, i can hear the record playing ont he stylus, but it seems like its signal is not making to the mixer. When i switch the phono switch at the back of the mixer, i get a line hum, and no other sounds. I am new to vinyl, and don't really know how to correct the problem. Rather thatn going out and buying all knew needles, or a mixer, is there a simpler step that i may have missed?

Brianna Willey
Unregistered guest
I have a sony LX250 OH turntable. Since we got it it sounds either like its playing slow or warped. I have tried new records on it and the same thing happens. Is it possible that the belt is not pulling fast enough or that it is slipping? any suggestions?

Anonymous

To the person with the sony LX250H turntable, I have the same turntable with the same problem. I have been searching for an answer for this problem... have you found the answer or does anyone out there know what's going on with this? This is a brand new record player.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1215
Steve, you should be able to dial out the slightly bright sound you're getting by adjusting VTA. Not all cartridges want to be played level, and perhaps you simply prefer a darker presentation to most.

Walter, anitskate is required to stop a cartridge skipping into the centre of the record. Due to the geometry of a record deck, this is the natural thing for it to do. You have to apply antiskate force to stop it doing so. My personal favourite way of setting it is to put a record on with a wide lead-out groove, get the record deck spinning, then cue the cartridge in between the grooves. The cartridge will swing either in to the centre or out to the edge of the record. In to centre is not enough antiskate. Out to edge is too much antiskate.

Cory, are you sure your amplifier has a built-in phono stage?

Uncle Mix, according to the mixer manual, the decks need to be connected to the mixer's Phono 1 and Phono 2 inputs which are the 1st and 3rd inputs from the right when looking from behind. The mixer should be connected to your amp from the leftmost output - again looking from the back of the unit. The phono/line switches should be set to Phono. Have you tried plugging in an ordinary CD player to the 2nd or 4th input (or the decks' input and set it to Line) to see if the mixer is not at fault? You canm get the manual from here:

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/mixers/numark/dm1050

Brianna, Anon, sounds like really bad wow. It's possible the belt is slipping or catching on something which makes it slow down and speed up again. I'd take it back since you don't want a repaired item from new.

regards,
Frank.

Username: Djbroker

Lake ronkonkoma, Ny United states

Post Number: 1
I have a problem, one of my 1200"s has never had a working pop up light so When I was changing it one of the wires wasnt insulated when I turned on and it touched something and made a popping noise which came from over by the start stop switch and on of button. Now the red light flashes whenever I touch the pitch fader or hit the start stop switch and the lights on the platter that show the pitch are jumping eraticlly. also when I hold the platter still from a spin it is trying to move in my hand and every time it trys to jump the flicker of the red light coincides with the movement. It seems like maybe the electromagnet might of got screwed up or something grounded out and fried, I checked the board thru and thru and all I can see is by the spot where it says power on tha board there are two black squares maybe capacitors or suntin I dont know, and one of them looks cracked and I can see the 3 metal prongs inside it peeking out. Could this be the problem??? If so how do I get that little part to replace?? Doesnt make sense why the 4 red leds would flicker when I touch any switch, and when I hold the platter still I shouldnt feel any magnetic force trying to move it.Someone please help if you have any knowledge of the problem as It probably will cost me more to have a shop fix than the table is worth. i can get a perfect 1200 at the pawn shop for 100 bucks but I have had these tables for yearz and many famous dj"s have spun on them I would like to keep them, as otherwise they are perfectly clean. Thanx so much anyone who can help,Kirk.

Username: Djbroker

Lake ronkonkoma, Ny United states

I also have a problem with one channel on the other table.Only one channel works, I have changed around the jacks on the mixer and it is defenitly the table. I took apart and resoldered the wires in the tonearm resoldered the rca"s and everything is perfect, I dont know what else is wrong, Its not the needle and the contacts in the tonearm look perfect as I have never licked the nedles on these tables so there is no corrosion. I am stumped at this piont maybe its something electronic I really dont know if it could be could someone shed sum light, I will help answer any questions to help describe the problem better if it helps someone come to a conclusion. Thank you for your help.

Username: Djd4n

hi iv recently bought 2x technics 1210 mk turntables and a numark dm1050 mixer.
i have a problem with my mixer, when i go to crossfade one of the songs over to the other side it usually fades the sound untill completely gone but it does not anymore it also makes a fuzzy noise when fading. iv only had it for about 3 weeks and dont think i need a new crossfader but im not sure. can anyone help me out?

Username: Wasserman12

Post Number: 7
I've posted about a similiar problem before and got a helpful response, however, recently I've noticed that I'm getting a sort of light cracking on the louder sections of almost all of my records, similiar to what is descibed in the original post in this thread. It is not always less evident on newer records. In fact, it is most pronounced on a brand new pressing that I just got. The thing is, I'm not able to assess the condition of the cartridge or stylus, both of which are made by Linn (i bought a Linn Axis at a garage sale for $15. I live in New York City, can anyone suggest a place to take it for an affordable set up and assessment. If i do need to replace the stylus, can someone suggest an affordable replacement? And finally, how do you know when the cartridge/stylus needs to be replaced and can you damage your records by using a worn out stylus? Thanks to everyone in advance for any help...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9220

"If i do need to replace the stylus, can someone suggest an affordable replacement?"

If you are just replacing the stylus, you don't need a recommendation. You can only replace the stylus with another similar stylus.

"And finally, how do you know when the cartridge/stylus needs to be replaced ... "

Quite often there is distortion when the signal gets loud and/or sibilants when the singer vocalizes a "s" sound.

" ... and can you damage your records by using a worn out stylus?"

Yes, very quickly.

Username: Wasserman12

Post Number: 8
Thanks Jan.

I've been experimenting on a record that is good quality, but one that I'm not too concerned about and I discovered that the disturbance is inversely proportional to tone arm weight/pressure. In other words, the greater the pressure/weight the greater less the disturbance is evident. I wonder if this sheds any more light on the problem for you? I guess it sounds like I need to replace the cartridge. And Can anyone suggest a sub $100 cartridge I might consider? I certainly can't afford one from Linn.
Thanks alot

Username: Imp88

Dear Phono Fans,

I just able to restart my old Sansui Model 370V Turntable and I encountered hummings on the amplifier with the following RCA connections to the Turntable:
1. Red and Green were connected to the centre and outer RCA Cable (AV Cable with a screen cable over the centre wire)
2. Blue and White were connected to the centre and outer RCA Cable (AV Cable with a screen cable over the centre wire)
3. Earth cable connected to the amplifier which in turn connected to the Green Earth cable of the Power Supply Socket.

The Turntable's RCA cable were connected to the phono input of the Equalizer which comes with a variable volume output to the amplifier. The volume from the cartride is so low that an equalizer is required to amplify the output to the amplifier (using the auxiliary input).
The cable of the turntable is about 1.5 metre long.

Thanks for help, Phono Fans.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9409

You know what? I've become absloutely lost in all that has been posted on this thread over the past eighteen months. I can't figure out who I'm conversing with and what the situation that I'm supposed to be discussing amounts to.

There is a box for "Start a New Thread" at the top of the topics page. I'm going to have to ask that anyone who wants an answer from me copy and paste any relevant information into a new thread so I can follow the path of the discussion.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us