Sub with Rotel RX-1052 Connections

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 305
I'm thinking about using a Rotel RX-1052 stereo receiver with a sub. The Rotel has neither a Sub-Out jack nor PreAmp-Out and Main-In. Are there subs out there that would roll off the bass of the mains via the sub's crossover by connecting from the receiver speaker output jacks to the high level sub inputs then out from the sub speaker output jacks to the mains? I'm new to subs so any help would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6824

Yes, the type of powered sub you are describing is quite easy to find.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 306
Jan, Thank You for your response. Could you recommend a few that I could investigate? Looking to spend about $500 or less.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 307
Jan, Tim's Alegria TOM sub???

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6829

I've not heard it. Tim and I have exchanged some information on the Tom and he's offered an audition. I really don't have time for a subwoofer audition right now, but possibly at a later date. From what Tim has told me, and based on what I have heard of the Alegria line, I would definitely ask Tim for a unit to listen to. The parts quality is, as with everything Tim has turned out so far, way above what you will get by spending your money on a more "commercial" product. So value for the dollar is quite good. I have high expectations for the Tom. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 308
Jan, I contacted someone at Alegria, Tim did not sign the return Email but they said that by connecting from the receiver speaker outputs to the high level sub inputs then out from the sub speaker output to the mains, the sub crossover WOULD roll off the bass of the mains.

This was not the case with HSU & Outlaw subs I was looking at.

I just want to make sure because I don't want to ship the sub back if it won't work like this. I asked Alegria if they had a TOM subwoofer manual I could download.

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 19
I would look into NHT, older SA2, SA3 amps with SW12 sub, fairly inexpensive, and very good quality. Also look into A1 amps with X1 crossover, Ive had both, and in a fairly complex system, and they never shied away from more expensive gear. Worth a look. good luck, dave

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6831

RZ - The sub will roll off the main speakers low end response if you run the speaker cables from the amplifier to the sub and then out to the main speakers. You will have the sub's crossover in line to affect the crossover frequency. You can also run the speaker cables to the sub and the main speakers directly. The sub's low pass filter will be determined by the crossover point on the subwoofer. The main speakers, however, will be fed a full range singal from the amplifier.

If you choose to run the mains full range, I would at least try the connection through the sub to roll the mains' low end. There are reasons to use either connection method and you can decide which you prefer for sound quality.

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 309
I am looking to roll off the bass of the mains and let the subwoofer handle the bottom end. I think I can get better midrange detail if the Energy C-3s are released from the bass burden.

Paul Haskins
Unregistered guest
Rotel RX-1052 receiver: This is a great unit. But does anyone know a trick to set its 'party' mode (same source to all zones) as a default - so that when the unit is powered up (or brought off stand-by) we're in party mode from the start? This would be a nice feature for the music buff who wants it everywhere all the time. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Silver Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 329
From the manual it seems that you have to select each time...Call or email Rotel or go visit a Rotel dealer to ask them about it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us