Integrated receiver or pre amp &amp

Username: Obidibah

COUNCIL BLUFFS, IA USA

Post Number: 1
Im trying to decide which way to go, receivers I'm considering Arcam avr300, Harman avr7300, Integra dtr10.5, boston acoustics avr7120. Preamp/amp setups Boston avp7 & a7200, Outlaw 990/7700,and sherwood p-965/a-965. What are the benefits or drawbacks to either way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be pushing 4 jbl s38's , s center, & for now a pb-12 sub. Using strictly Zu audio cables.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 865
Jarred,

Go the pre/pro and amp route. I am now 9 months plus in my HT system that started with an ngrade of my previous Denon AVR with a used Denon 3803. Now, I've come full circle to a pre/pro and amp.

You'll definitely want to go this route if you're using the set-up for both HT and 2 channel listening. You just won't be happy unless you bite the bullet and go really upscale on a receiver, i.e., Denon 5906, 4806 or similar. At that point, you can get a really nice pre/pro and amp, though. IMHO anyway, Dave.

BTW, after listening to others from this site, I finally put together a standalone 2 channel system and I'm much happier with the separate systems, BUT, my wife wasn't very happy with it initially, although she's coming around. LOL

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2033
Jarrod, keep pushing the Outlaw combination and you end up with the 990 and 5 m200 mono's.
Simplicity and versatility.
Toss in a Rega, Naim or Rotel cdp and you are loaded for bear.
I love spending your money, really look at the Outlaw site for package deals.

COUNCIL BLUFFS, IA USA

Post Number: 2
according to some of the people on outlaws website forum, they do not feel real confident with the m200's. Also it appears that I would have to invest in about 5 power cords as well. I appreciate your thoughts on this though.
thanks
Jarred

COUNCIL BLUFFS, IA USA

Post Number: 3
is it possible to use my receiver and remove the jumpers and hook the pre outs to a seperate amp for budgets sake right now. I have a HK AVR 520 and am looking at the outlaw 7500. thanks
Jarred

Gold Member

Post Number: 2103
Yes, Jarred, that is the way to do it.

COUNCIL BLUFFS, IA USA

Post Number: 4
Cool, here's the next stupid question.
Since my speakers are only rated at max reccomended 175 watts and the amp rated at 200 per channel; I just dont turn up the pre amp so much correct??

Gold Member

Post Number: 2110
Jarred, the rated 'watts' of the amp and speakers have nothing to do with each other whatsoever.
You have to listen to what the gear is telling you.
The speakers will start to distort when things get out of hand.
The amp will clip"high freq noise" when it is in distress.
Just lower the volume a bit, all will be fine.

Advise from old, deaf guy, with blown up speakers and over-driven amps.

I doubt that anyone will go against my advise, but learning how to 'listen' to your gear(the gear, not the music), is difficult.
I suggest starting with the most minimal volume possible, and work from there.

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 33
JARRED,

You'd be amazed what speakers can do when hooked to an amp that has power. Even little books with 6" drivers hooked to a good powerful amp will blow you away. So no need to worry about your speakers and the amp power, your speakers that you have now would benefit from two amps bridged to produce 350w or more
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us