HD Radio Frustration

Bronze Member
Username: Sarius

Post Number: 16
Hi,

As I posted before, I'm in need of a new tuner. You-all convinced me that XM wasn't worth it at home. I realized that my favorite non-commercial Jazz/Blues station is broadcasting in HD and I live within optimum reception distance, so I did some homework. HD, when properly implemented seems to offer 'CD' quality sound, and given that this station (WEMU) is all about the music, I would guess that they've set up their system for the optimum quality this format is capable of. In fact, I seem to be within reception range of four other HD broadcasts that I might enjoy.

So I started looking for HD tuners and it would seem that I have no options at all in terms of a component that would go into a good home system. I find this very puzzling. Does anyone know of an 'audiophile' tuner that will support HD? Now I did read the other post on the subject here, so I'm looking to extend that conversation.

Any ideas why a new format that seems to offer a significant step up in reception quality, and is being actively broadcast by stations that music lovers would actually want to listen to, is being totally ignored by the high end component makers? I mean, if I wanted to spend a grand or more on a new power cord, I'd have many options. I can drop big bucks into a CD demagnetizer, 'quantum aligned' interconnects, or 'noise harvester'. But, if I want to buy a tuner that will pull in a signal that is already being broadcast which seems to offer some real sonic improvements, there isn't a single one to be had?

Go figure!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8824

Yeah, you might as well buy a McIntosh MR80 or a Marantz 10B. Go figure!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I did discover that Rotel is supposed to be introducing the RT-1084 HD tuner, which, whenever they get good and ready to actually sell the thing, would seem to be the one and only 'audiophile' tuner option. Looks like if I really want HD radio, I'll just have to 'suck it up' and wait.

It was supposed to the available in the second quarter of this year, but that obviously isn't going to happen.

Username: Raedeke

Denver, CO USA

Post Number: 5
The CEDIA show is here in Denver this year in about a month. As a supplier of services to the trade industry I plan to be down there on other business, but can't wait to take a walk and see what Rotel has to say - I'm looking for the HD tuner as well. I'll see what I can figure out.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4486
"Does anyone know of an 'audiophile' tuner that will support HD?"

It is a contradiction in terms.

Probably there are no audiophile "HD radio" receivers for the same reason there are no audiophile MP3 players.

You might get HD reception tacked onto an FM tuner. In UK there are quality tuners that get FM and "DAB". But, again, you can get quality CD players that will also cope with MP3.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Well, John,

I was incorrect, I meant component tuner. Given that analog FM only reproduces from 30-15K Hz, while HD expands that to 20-18K, and seems to offer better stereo separation too, I guess that one can make the arguement that there are no 'audiophile' tuners of any type. The current radio broadcast specs just don't support what would be considered 'audiophile' sound in any of the various formats.

It does seem that HD, at its best, can offer some improvement in the sound quality over FM analog- at its best.

Therefore, I'm still puzzled as to why there isn't a single tuner available to me for my home system that can decode this. I guess that I'll have to keep waiting for Rotel to decide to ship the HT1084.... whenever that might be.

Username: J_strazz

Post Number: 4
The reason you probably cannot find a component tuner that offers HD is because the format is too new and the demand for it is still low. I just recently found out about the format's existence, so chances are the average Joe still has never even heard of it. You may want to check out audiophile websites like Crutchfield.com to watch for the introduction of such equimpent. You will most likely find it there before you find it in your local Best Buy or Circuit City.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 913
I, for one, would like to have the opportunity to hear if HD radio is a serious improvement in sound quality. Where I live (in the Denver area), I have heard three different radio stations proclaim they are broadcasting in HiDef, yet I can't hear it in Hi Def as there is no product out there. I have done an internet search and found a half a dozen car stereo decks that have Hi Def capability, but I haven't even found those models locally.

So Richard, I will look forward to your report after CEDIA.

Username: El_zorro37

Post Number: 10
I bought a HD Radio for my truck, the JVC KD-HDR1, and while I am overall pleased with it I think that it doesn't doesnt offer as much as Satellite. I am going to get a new truck this year and am probably going to get XM radio for my new truck. I was thinking about bringing this JVC inside, getting a 12V power supply and hooking it up to my home theatre amp and getting a decent car attenna and mounting it outside the window. Has anyone tried this before, mounting a car component in a home rack ? Are there any small cabinets available for this ? It looks like 12V power supplies are easy to find.

Silver Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 102
A separate tuner is available from Sangean

Sangean HDT-1
http://sangean.com/product.php?model=HDT-1

rumor has it a newer model will be out lat summer '07

Bronze Member
Username: Dscrobe

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 22
Steve, installing a car component will work out as advised by JVC. A Regulated 12VDC Power Supply should be used. The tuner has regular RCA line outs. I am leaning this way because Sangean and Rotel are only ones providing a home component. For home components, Sangean is priced at $200 and Rotel is priced at $900 (per Stereo Barn - not sure why that would be much higher). Belasarius, I'm with you. I as well am at a loss as to why the market is not in sync with the "digital push." TV is definitely going all digital. Is it a stretch to assume that Radio is next?

Bronze Member

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 24
Regarding the 12VDC power supply, I will need to find the current draw of the tuner. Unfortunately, JVC couldn't tell me (or Crutchfield).

Silver Member

KY USA

Post Number: 109
Sangean should start running a rebate on the HD HDT-1 tuner model in preparation for the "new" model. May bring the price down to about $160, which is damn close to a "impulse buy".

Check their website around the first of May, 2007

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7040
Daniel, the tuner section uses peanuts, as well as the preamp section.read the nameplate, it will include current draw.
Opening the thing and snipping the power amp section will lower the draw to a easy level, though I don't know if the brains of the thing would allow that.

Bronze Member

Reading, PA USA

Post Number: 34
Thanks Nuck. Think I might hold out on that $160 deal this May that Martin VanMeter is mentioning about.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7052
seems a pretty good deal on a unit that won't garner much attention sales wise.

Silver Member

KY USA

Post Number: 110
Rebate on HDT-1 posted: but only $25 8-{

http://www.sangean.com/downloads/rebates/hdrebate.pdf

Silver Member

KY USA

Post Number: 111
oop's...posted the wrong URL...very sorry !

http://www.ibiquity.com/press_room/news_releases/2007/1020

problem seem to be the actual form is not posted yet on the referenced web site www.hdradio/rebate

Username: Audioearz1

TinyVille , NB Canada

Post Number: 6
FM Digital signal...
What can I do to get a FM signal on my AVR 3802 Denon receiver? Seems as though Technology has deprived my receiver (as well as myself) of tuning into a radio station. Seems like it wasn't that long ago that simply connecting an extra coax cable to the splitter on the back of the TV cable box.
I'm curious!! -What is the "recycling trend" of home stereo components at the local future shop?

Silver Member

KY USA

Post Number: 115
Analog FM is alive and well, but you need an antenna connected to your receiver to get any form of FM, analog or digital. You can start with the $5 two wire flat cable dipole antenna usually packed with any FM receiver/tuner. Works OK in a good signal area, but not for stations at any distance.

Hook up a small outdoor antenna (you can put it in the attic if needed, although outside is best) like the Winegard PR-6010

http://www.summitsource.com/winegard-hd6010-omnidirectional-fm-antenna-radio-hd6 010-prostar-pr6010-2-element-outdoor-offair-signal-stereo-reception-aerial-88108 -mhz-part-hd6010-pr6010-with-coax-cable-p-4585.html

you can go to http://www.radio-locator.com/ and enter you location to find out what FM stations are available

Username: Wileydog

Butler, Pa. U.S.

Post Number: 1
When is Rotel Going to sell their RT-1084? I've
listened to satellite radio, and it sounds very dead. HD radio has to sound better. Plus its
Totally Free.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7930
http://www.smarthome.com/91913.html?gclid=CJTihpP8pY0CFRE4OAodij35zw

Silver Member

KY USA

Post Number: 119
newest version of the Sangean HDT-1x tuner

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882720013&Tpk=hdt-1x
« Previous Thread Next Thread »