Which ones? Paradigm Monitor 90Ps or Sudio 100s?

Username: Beastie1

Frisco, TX United States

Post Number: 2
Ok this is really driving me nuts here as I cant decide. I had decided on going with the Monitor 90Ps and ALMOST bought them several times but held out looking for a real steal of a deal on them - but now - I have turned my head to the Sudio 100s after reading so many good things about them.

Can someone please chime in here and help me out on really "how much" better the 100s would be or if they would be the same?

I now have 2 powered 15" subs - but - I wanted to get rid of them and go with only the 90Ps but I may keep them and go with the Studio 100s.

I have 2 options of power sources: My Yamaha RX-Z9 amp (170watts) or my Yamaha MX-85 Amp (250Watts).

I will be running these speakers in a 2 channel main mode with 2 "effect" speakers in front by the plasma. This is an optional channel my Yamaha amp offers so I dont know if that is still considered 2 channel or whatever.

If you have experiece with both the 90Ps and the Studio 100s - please - let me know which would be a better choice here.

The only hesitation about the 100s I have is the bass as I know they will shine in the highs and mids but so will the 90Ps - right?

Take care,

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2850
For music the Studio 100's are head and shoulders better than the 90P's but for home theater the 90P's are a fun speaker. Overall they really can't be compared the Studio 100's are a much better balanced speaker. With a Yamaha receiver....tough choice but if you do more HT than music the 90P's should be satisfying. Sorry without more specific questions that's about as good as I can do.

Frisco, TX United States

Post Number: 3
Art, thanks for the feedback. I was feeling too much anxiety today about this and went ahead and pulled the trigger on some Studio 100s in Rosewood color to match the other accents in my decor.

Since they are so close in price I decided on spending the extra few hundred and going with the "better" model as I hear you cant go wrong with the Studio 100s as opposed to anything in that price range.

As far as my listening, I am 80HT/20Music and am worried about the base output of the Studio 100s. The Yamaha M-85 Amp is a dual monoblock amp so I will try and bi-wire the 100s from A+B (A is seperate amp and B&C channels are in series on the same amp) and if I understand this correctly this will drop everything to a 4ohm load and the amp should be pushing around 360watts to the 100s. I think @ 360ish watts I will get all the base they are going to offer and I will have to see if it is enough for my taste or I can always turn on my 15"s powered subs.

I cant believe I have actually placed an order: as now I dont have anything to obsess over and am anxiously awaiting.

Brent

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 807
Brent,

Art will agree with me on this one,

the studio 100's are a MUCH superior speaker, and they have great bass response.

however, I just hope your subs are on the order of keeping up with the speakers :-)

Frisco, TX United States

Post Number: 4
Gavin, we will just have to see how they work out. I am getting such an upgrade here already as I am sure I will be tickled pink for at least 10 mins before I decide on what subs to upgrade to next. =)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2864
I do agree indeed Gavin.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us