Worth buying an amp to play itunes

Username: Ajm133

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I've loaded all of my music to the pc to take advantage of itunes. I was going to buy some decent computer speakers, but a good set costs $200-$300, which takes me into the price range of buying a half decent and and speakers from ebay and hooking them up to my PC

Would it be worth doing this, or would i get better sound from a set of computer specific speakers.

if so, any ideas as to amp/speaker combinations appropriate to play music from a comuter in the $300 price range.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Fps_dean

Williamstown, MA USA

Post Number: 133
I would look for a used older receiver that you can get cheaply. Most stuff from the 70s 80s and early 90s even you can get for a fairly cheap price and the older receivers in the 70s and early 80s are built like tanks - try an old Yamaha CA or CR series or a Marantz or something.\

Get some older speakers that work.

You've just built yourself a decent $300 system.

Also I must add - the M-Audio Audiophile soundcards are a massive improvement over any stock sound cards or anything Creative Labs has ever made. You can get a 96kHz Audiophile card for $100 or the 192kHz one for $200 but 96khz is good enough for playing stuff.

I replaced a more expensive SB Audigy with the $100 Audiophile card and it has highs and lows that the Audigy could not come close to and it's probably my best CD player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us