JBL vs. Paradigm

Username: Scottyscott

Post Number: 1
I am looking to buy a mid-ranged priced speaker system. Any comments or info on the JBL scs seriers vs. the paradigm cinema series?

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 2526
Are those packaged sets? I haven't heard them, but generally speaking, Paradigm is of much better quality than JBL.

Another generality is that you are always better off buying speakers separately than buying a packaged set. HTIBs usually come with lousy subwoofers too.

The best way to go is to build your system gradually over a few months, buying for example the best front L/R speakers you can afford, then the center, then the sub, then the surrounds (which depending on your usage you can go very cheap on without any real harm).

First you need to answer these questions:

a. What % of your usage will be music vs. HT (home theater)?

b. If your usage includes music, are you planning on doing a lot of multichannel SACD or DVD-A music, or will it be primarily 2-channel listening?

c. What types of music do you listen to the most? (classical/jazz, rap, rock, etc.)

d. What types of movies do you watch the most? (action/thriller, drama/comedy, etc.)

e. How big is your listening/viewing room? (dimensions including ceiling height and firstt or second floor) Is it a dedicated listening/viewing room, or a multipurpose room like a living room?

f. Do you live in a detached house or an attached apartment/condo?

g. What's your preferred vs. maximum budget? Do you strongly prefer to buy everything at once within a set budget, or can you build your system gradually over a period of months but with higher quality components?

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 590
I ditto Ed and then you can talk about alternatives and narrow the listening choices a little.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1932
It doesn't really matter what you listen to if it's just between those 2 sets the Paradigm is far better. But as the gentlemen above will tell you there are a lot better alternatives than those home cinema speaker sets. If you watch movies at all don't let anyone tell you that it doesn't matter if your rear speakers match the fronts because it does.

Other than that I ditto the comments of the esteemed gentlemen above. We need more info.

Username: Scottyscott

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the suggestions.. I'll sit down and analyze a little more. Thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us