Polk Audio Monitor 50

Bronze Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 92
Just saw these speakers at the local HiFi shop. Polk has just been introduced in India. Any idea how good this brand is?? Or for that matter how gold this specific model is?

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 754
Polk is pretty good - but there are better out there for the money. It's better than entry level speakers from Japan, like Yamaha, sony, etc, but not the best in the world.

I like speakers like monitor audio, paradigm, psb, mission.

The good thing about Polk is that they can be listened to for a long time, without tiring the ears. The bad is that they are not transparent, and is not dynamic and exciting as other ones.

You can do a lot worse than the Polk, but if you take the time, you can do a little better too.

I had some Indian friends - my sister lives in Syngapore, and there are many there.

I think Indian girls are so pretty - they look sharp and intelligent ! I took a picture with this girl who looked like a gem...

Anyway, you are on the right track by posting on sights like this - getting info before buying. You will end up with a better system this way for sure. Isn't this a fun hobby?

What cd and amp do you have?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
Thanks James. That was a rather polite post. You like Indian women? So do I, dude!! In fact I'm married to one. ;)
My system:
Marantz SR 4400 receiver
Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 (wanna upgrade to budget floorstanders - see post "Entry Level Floorstanders")
Cyber Home DVD player
QED Silver Anniversary Biwire speaker cable
DIY MDF stands
Sony Wega 21" TV

Bronze Member
Username: Pbdr

Post Number: 38
Actually, from reading your post on the system you have, a lot of people would suggest staying with the bookshelfs (the Diamond 8.1s are considered pretty good) and just adding a subwoofer.

The arguement is (and unfortunately it IS causing some arguemnts here) that budget floorstanders may have more bass than bookshelves, but it may not be "good" bass. For the money it might be better to stick with the bookshelf speakers, which usually have fewer drivers so makers can use higher quality for the same price (let me know if that is hard to follow) and add a subwoofer to get "good" bass.

Their are many quality subs out there, but I have generally heard that SVS or HSU make some of the best for the money.

Another aspect of going this route is that you can upgrade your bookshlefs an sub seprately, instead of one more expensive set of floorstanders.

Hope this helps.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1235
Polk Monitors are one step above their bottom of the line R-series, very mediocre sound for the money in my opinion.

I think their lineup goes like this:

R-series: crappy
Monitor series: mediocre
RTi: decent to very good
LSi: excellent

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
Trust you to tell it like it is Edster. Gave them a listen yesterday, they're... er... ho hum...

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1251
Yep, and the funny thing is that Circuit City (one of our huge national chain stores here in the US) presents them as high end speakers!

Generally speaking though, I've always found Polks to offer poor value for the money. Don't know about how it is in India but in the States you can get RTi or better quality for prices somewhere in between the R series and the Monitor series.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 332
I put together a system for her for christmas,she said daddy i dont want one of those little cute stereos,so off I went to circuit city,she wanted floorstanders kids love big stuff , so listened to Polk R series Oh my god they were horrible blunted dull highs,boomy bass,no Midrange to speak of.And I thought how could polk build a speaker so terrible and for the performance way over priced.So good thing I worked at a high end Audio store so,I got her a Nad 320bee for very cheap since we carried Nad and a free 521i from Nad as a gift to her and they were trying to get rid of the old models.Finnaly I had to use my wits and keep the price down so I got a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds 8.3s from Wild Wild West Electronics in Arizona for $189 shipped and all.I dont know if I ever seen a kid that age with a system like that but hey,if you are trying not to spend a lot you can get the Diamond 8s closed out at some places the Polks Rs suck I have heard KLH sound better than R series.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us