Blu-ray Audio?

Silver Member
Username: Superjazzyjames

Post Number: 525
I've heard rumors that blu-ray audio may be hitting the market soon. Anyone know anything about this?

Username: Berniew

Perth, Western Aust... Australia

Post Number: 8
Only that the Blu-Ray format was recently revised so that new players will be supposed to play SACD format... maybe that's a new effort to try and revitalse SACD sales? After all, CD sales are way down since downloading took off, and it's harder to rip & almost impossible to burn SACD (for now). This way, it might get people back into record stores to buy physical media again, which is how record companies used to make those massive profits. Think of it- the improvement in video quality available will sell a lot of BluRay players. If you can play SACD (or some other hi-res format) on them, that creates a huge potential market for these disks. One day, BluRay players are supposed to be as popular as DVD is now.

Personally, I'd go for it. So long as the price is fair, I LIKE having a real disk. I also like downloading hi-res files very much (I don't use pirated stuff), because that's proved to be the best way to get the content I want.

As to the arguement about whether we even need a better format, very well-mastered CD's certainly can sound very good, so long as you play them back on quality equipment. But I've also found that 24bit, 48k or higher sampling rate can offer benefits. You need pretty good playback equipment, and of course, badly made recordings sound bad in any format. Music doesn't necessarily sound better just because it's released in hi-res... but hi-res recordings *potentially* do offer great benefits.
At least, that's going to be what record companies will use to try and sell us new versions of old music, so once again we need to buy new libraries! That's what happened when vinyl gave way to CD, and when DVD took over from video tapes. People wanted their material in these handy new formats. It's a great way to sell the same music all over again. It won't be the last time it happens either, and for that exact same reason.

Downloading is a challenge that record companies still haven't properly figured out how to meet. I'm going to continue to buy music that way, in hi-res whenever possible, because that's the format I want and that's the best way for me to get it right now. As it stands I don't feel it's worth my buying a special player to access SACD disks when I can get the same stuff more cheaply and easilly online. But if there's a mass market once again for music on physical media, I can imagine it'd take off. Certainly the publishers would love that, and if they can do it they will.
And of course, while SACD is effectively copy-protected for most people now, someone will figure out a way around it, and before you know it, ripped versions of new hi-res releases will proliferate for downloading, just as it was with CD and DVD. THere are plenty of clever people out there who are bound to work out how to do it, and offer the world the tools.
Anyone care to comment?

Username: Jenniedsy

Post Number: 2
expecting its arrival

Username: Papa1000

Post Number: 1
I've heard bits of gossip that blu-beam sound might hit the market soon. Anybody know anything about this?

Username: Papa1000

Post Number: 3
is effectively copy-protected for most people now, someone will figure out a way around it, and before you know it, ripped versions of new hi-res releases will proliferate for downloading, just as it was with CD and DVD. THere are plenty of clever people out there who are bound to work out how to do it, and offer the world the tools.
Anyone care to comment?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18683

Both DVD/Audio and SACD failed in large part due to their copy protection. "Smart people" couldn't save a format which was created in a way which did not allow the owner full rights of ownership. I suspect any future format will only be the same.

Besides, if you do not have the correct format hardware to copy to, what difference does copying ability make? There's nothing in the home audio market that suggests hardware for copies will be available. And any studio equipment will probably be dramatically more expensive than simply paying for the original and, as with SCAD/DSD format, only available in the distant future and still with many, many restrictions on original source material vs copied material.

Username: Optratucson

Post Number: 3
Hi everyone. I want to know what are the methods or equipment to use, to sent or transmit strong radio frequency wirelessly to interfere a PA speaker system. I came across the product called hackRF one, but I am not sure if it works. Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18695

Why do you want to "transmit strong radio frequency wirelessly to interfere a PA speaker system"?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us