Any Yamaha A/V Receiver Experts Out there?

thirstymoon
Unregistered guest
I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer on this:

I just got a Yamaha 5740 receiver, hooked it up, and set all of the settings, but it really does not seem like it has as much power as I would think. I have read lot's of reviews on Yamaha receivers and have heard about the good amount of power they put out, even this smaller model. The thing is I have to turn it all the way up to -25 db to get it to a good listening volume. When I really cranked it up to around 0db the amp shut off. Is there something I can set to increase the volume? I already set the individual speaker volumes against each other with the test tone during the set-up. It did not seem like I could turn all of them up doing this.

Could this have anything to do with my speakers? I am running two rather large 800 watt max speakers in the front chanel and 2 400 watt max speakers in the surround channel. All of these speakers are 6 ohm, but I have the switch on the amp turned to the lower ohm setting. I did some research and everyone said that I should have no problem running any of these speakers with this amp. Also, when I am playing music through the front two speakers, I can also hear the signal coming through the surround speakers at a slightly lower volume. Is this normal? Please enlighten me!

Kid-A
Unregistered guest
Hey thirstymoon. I recently purchased the Yamaha dv-x650 receiver, and have the same volume problem you do. I'm also frustrated about my receivers bass and trouble adjustability ranges. Only -6 to +6, while all other receivers I've seen(even my crappy 1982 Sherwood) range from -10 to +10. I don't currently own a subwoofer, so this lack of bass capability is quite annoying. I feel a though my 3-way front speaker's bass capability is not being utilized because of this. Do you have the same problem with yours?

Username: Kero

Post Number: 10
I have a 5730 and also feel like I have a similar problem but am running only a set of 8ohm sony SSMB350H speakers.

I know most cringe at sony speakers but these sound good enough for my listening range.

When I watch movies on cable or DVD movies, I can't stand the volume issue, I have to turn it way up to get a decent volume like you mention.

I did set the speakers for just the 2 fronts and no others are shown on the front panel.

It's an odd thing and hope someone can shed some light on this issue.

Rod

thirstymoon
Unregistered guest
To Kid-A... In answer to your question about the bass capability not being utilized..... absolutely YES. This is very frustrating considering the fact that Yamaha receivers are supposed to have a decent amount of power. I am very disappointed!

Rod M... I can relate. I realize that these are lower-end Yamaha receivers, but my God, they don't have any more power than this???!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Kero

Post Number: 13
Thirsty,

Low end or not, they still should perform decently with regards to volume and output. The receive I have weights 20+ pounds, does this not mean it has a good power supply and does this not relate to volume and such?

Rod

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 461
Thirsty,

My impression is that if you're running massive 6ohm speakers, you'll want more 'beef' in your receiver to make your speakers sound their best. The +-6 tone control is irrelevent because you'll need an adequate amp to produce good bass regardless of the tone controls. If your amp had +-20 in their tone controls, I suspect you'd still not be happy with the result.

Amps that carry a 100wpc rating are not all equals.....
To answer Rods question, typically low end receivers weigh in around 20+ pounds because they have a weaker and smaller power supply. The big difference in amp weight when you step into the mid-priced receiver range is their powersupply which will add an additional 15+ pounds.

For example.....Low end receivers typically weigh in around 21-25lbs.....

Midpriced....34-38lbs...

High end....65-70lbs....

Much of those differences are correlated with power supply. It may sound oversimplistic and stupid to say such a thing, but it's true.

Bronze Member
Username: Sause

Post Number: 42
For Kid-A have you gone into the menus and actually told the system that you didn't have a sub? If you didn't then there will be very little bass coming through.

I don't know how loud you guys listen to them but mine(5650) i turn up to -45 and i'm at a comfertable listening level.

Make sure the setting are correct before you do something drastic.

Kid-A
Unregistered guest
Yes, I have gone through the menu options. Actually, I set it up using the mic/auto setup which determines which speakers I have hooked up as well as the settings for the ones that I do. My receiver weighs 27lbs 9oz. I guarantee you, my old Sherwood weighs less but is capable of much more bass. This receiver came highly recommended by Consumer Reports. A lot of bang for the buck. And other than a few disgruntled owners such as myself who are concern about the same performance features, I havn't read any negative reviews, only a few very positive ones. Overall, I'm satisfied with its sound and performance. The options are great.(it may be a little too bright/clear for my taste, although that may be just because of the lack of bass. I suppose I'd need a tube amp for more warmth.) Would hooking up another amplifier to my receiver help any? Can I even do that? Yea I know, hardcore newbee question. Also would this lack of bass performance affect any subwoofer that I chose to hook up?
On another note I'm having a hard time being able to send a video signal directly through my receiver with my VCR, direct tv and webtv. The audio is no problem. ???????? Thanks:-)

Username: Bonesnipe

Post Number: 2
THIRSTYMOON AND ROD M HAVE YOU TRIED RAISING THE SPEAKER LEVEL IN THE MENU FOR THE SPEAKERS WHICH ARE UNDER PREFORMING. ALSO ON THE FRONT PANEL OF THE 5740 AND 5730 THERE IS A BUTTON LABELED CONTROL. PUSH IT AND IT WILL CYCLE THROUGH TREBLE AND BASS OPTIONS ALLOWING YOU TOO INCREASE THE OUTPUT + OR - 10 BY UTILIZING THE ADJACENT BUTTONS TO THE RIGHT LABELED BASS AND TREBLE + AND -.
ALSO IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A DEDICATED SUB. YOU WILL WANT TO SET THE BASS OUTPUT IN THE MENU TO MAIN ONLY. DO NOT USE THE SETTING FOR BOTH OR SUB. ONLY.
MAIN ONLY WILL REDIRECT ALL BASS OUTPUT TO THE LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SPKS.

JUST WONDERING DO YOU HAVE TO SHOUT TO HEAR YOURSELF AT WHAT YOU CONSIDER AN ACCEPTABLE LEVEL OF VOLUME OUTPUT. I HAVE AN RXV-640 WHICH IS AN OLDER VERSION OF THE 5740. AT -30, MY TRUSTY RADIO SHACK SPL. METER SAYS I AM PUSHING BETWEEN 80 AND 90 db. JUST ON REGULAR VOICE OUTPUT FROM THE CENTER CHANNEL ALONE.
COULD YOUR LACK OF BASS BE THE POSITION OF YOUR SPKS. THEMSELVES. JUST A THOUGHT. I WILL THINK ON IT SOME MORE AND PLAY AROUND WITH BOTH OF THESE MODELS HERE IN THE STORE. KEEP YOU POSTED ON WHAT I FIND OUT.

D12
Unregistered guest
Also look in the manual and it should say how the speakers should be setup in bold lettering. For instance my rx-v440 says to have the mains large and the center and surrounds on small and the bass is both. the thing is with yamaha receivers is some times you will have to set all speakers to small and bass to both in order to get the bass response your looking for. but yes the lower end yamaha's are not that powerful. don't get me wrong i love my little yamaha receiver, but i am going to get a Pioneer 1014 or the 1015 or an Marantz receiver.

D12
Unregistered guest
oh thirstymoon leave the amp switch on 8ohms not 6ohms!!! And what is the sensitivity rating on your speakers?

thirstymoon
Unregistered guest
I don't really know how many dbs the volume that I like is. All I can say is that I live in an apartment, so I couldn't really be listening to it at a deafening volume anyway. Right now, -45 db's puts the volume lower than talking volume, -35 through -30 puts it at a decent listening level, but certainly not LOUD, and at -25, it starts to get a bit loud. It just seams like the amp should be producing a decent listening level at -55 or so.

D12, I will take your suggestions on the settings, but my speakers are 6 ohms. Won't putting the switch on 8 ohms damage the amp, or can I get away with this if I don't crank it up super loud? My sensitivity rating is 90. Thanks, thirstymoon

D12
Unregistered guest
If the sensitivity level is 90, the receiver should be using less power to drive the speakers. for example I have some Def Tech BP-6 for fronts and their sensitivity rating is about 91db. Now that is a big difference of sound compared to the small sony satellite speakers (whew try saying that three times fast :D :D)that I had before.

oh by putting the amp on 8ohm mode will not harm the receiver or speakers. If you were to put them on a low ohm rating on the receiver, you will overwork the amp in the receiver. so it is best to leave it on 8ohms.

Also make sure that you have all your speaker levels set at the 0 setting. and make sure you set the mains a*k*a fronts to large.

thirstymoon
Unregistered guest
Ok, I will try this today and get back to you. Thanks

Username: Joerally

Post Number: 2
Double check the speaker polarity.

Unregistered guest
Thirsty,

I just purchased and hooked up my 5740. Same thing happened to me. The issue was that my speaker wires were not properly connected. Make sure that none of your copper wire is touching the metal case. It causes the speakers to short out at about -25 db or just slightly higher. It worked for me - btw - it is a very loud and awesome system for the investment...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us