Basic Equalizer Info Needed

thehollis
Unregistered guest
Can anyone point me to a place where I can get novice-level info on setting levels on an equalizer?

I just hooked up a Realistic Wide Range Stereo Frequency Equalizer to a Sansui 1000x receiver and don't know where to begin!

swampcat
Unregistered guest
Start in the flat position (all in center) Your low frequencies (bass) usally are to left , mid center , and highs, right. Moving each lever up will increase the level of the range indicated and down will decrease. Its pretty much a fancy bass and treble control. I would move very slightly based on the sound your looking for.(more bass, less bass ect.) You will need to sit back and listen and compare each movement very carefully and switch from equalized to unequalized sound to see if your acheiving the sound change your looking for. You also need to match the level output of equalized and unequalized sound. Most EQ's have a main level control for this purpose. I use my EQ and its a very slight adjustment to lower bass in two frequencies (60hz, 120 hz ) do to room acoustics (speakers ported and close to walls wich boosts bass, could be corrected by moving out, but room set up will not allow ). Otherwise an EQ isn't really needed in most set ups.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Can you tell me what you want to accomplish with the EQ without resorting to "I want it to sound better" verbage? Be as specific as possible. If you don't know what you want from an EQ you will use it incorrectly. There are rules to how levels should be set but you have to know where you are heading first. Do you know?

Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 9
The eq is intended to modify sound for a less than perfect environment. If you use it to cover-up less than usefull equipment, you will be disappointed, then blow something up.
An spl monitor and frm(frequency responce monitor) will allow you to set things right, then leave them there. You can rent these items in most cities.

It works. Then leave the eq alone.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us