Digital Cable box sounds awful through stereo only

John Walker
Hi

I recently subscribed to our local digital cable service and have a Motorola DCT2000. The audio sounds ok through the TV speakers but sounds like a old torn car speaker through the stereo.

The stereo is fine. CD, FM, tape etc sound excellent through both the speakers and through headphones.

I tried changing the DCT2000 audio settings to "stereo" instead of "TV" or some compression system. But it still sounds awful.

Anyone have relavant advice?

Thanks in advance

John

Hmmmm....
John-

I just dealt with a similar situation a few days ago. I was trying to get a digital sound from my cable box(DCT2000), which only has analog rca outputs and no digital outputs. To make a long story short...In my area, there are some boxes with digi coax outputs and some with analog outs, but there is no rhyme or reason as to who gets one. Digital sound is not a service that they offer, so they don't guarantee that you will get a set-top with digi out or s-video out. Nobody was willing to go out of their way to help me in my search for the box. Probably wouldn't know what to look for anyway. So, then I called Motorola. The tech guy told me that the version of the operating software was just as important as the output connections. Needless to say that my software wasn't the current version either.

So, right now I'm running L/R audio RCAs from the cable box to my receiver with the cable box audio set to:

Advanced/Heavy Compression/Matrix

I get decent surround but no 5.1.

Not sure if any of this helps or for that matter, even applies to your situation but good luck nonetheless. I'm interested to know if anybody else has any insight.

po
Silly question: On your stereo, you didn't by chance use a set of phono inputs. What input did you use? I've accidentally connected RCA cables to phono inputs before and it sounds about as you described. Phono inputs assume extremely low level (different from normal line level).

Is the TV getting its sound off the coax cable input and the stereo connected to the RCA jacks?

John cw
Hummmm and Po

I assumed my DCT2000 firmware would support circa 1950 stereo format!

Anyway our cable provider makes a big deal out of providing 40 CD quality digital music channels.

I don't know if the DCT2000 has a digital output but I am not sure my receiver has a dig-in either. (If they do I'd probably need some non-existant cable to connect the two proprietory jacks).

I have connected the RCA L&R to the Aux on the receiver. The TV gets its audio via the coax.

I may pull the whole thing apart and mess with it over the holidays. The only thing I can think of is a very bad patch cable but that is highly unlikely.

Please keep the ideas coming!

John

Steve
Try new RCA cables.

A few things to consider:

Does the AUX input have a dedicated volume control level, in lieu of the MASTER volume? Or look for any sort of signal amplification to/from that line. Loudness switch?!? Also, try messing with the levels on the bass and treble. Cut bass and treble all the way out and see if there is still a distortion.

Anonymous
I always want the sound to match the picture that's on.

Assuming you have a TV with stereo inputs and outputs, try hooking up the receiver inputs to the TV outputs.

Jeff P
I just started going through the same experience. I called my cable company (Comcast), and spoke with a rep who didn't even know what S-Video and digital audio were. He said in 3 years he's never had a single person request such a thing.

He was very helpful, and made it sound like someone would look in their warehouse for a box with digi-out and S-vid for me. I've got a service call this weekend that should either allow me to install or to clarify.

Looking at Hummm's message above, though, it sounds like even that won't guarantee me digital audio.

My question for anyone out there: should I keep pursuing this, or am I wasting my time?

Anonymous
Motorola DCT5100
True Stero/Dolby 5.1
Has spdif optical out. And S-video. Also DVI

This is the new HDTV box for comcast.

It rocks the house!

Anonymous
How did you get this cable box? Did Comcast give it to you or did you but it?

Jeff P
I just got my upgrade box from Comcast over the weekend. I hooked up the S-Video, but I need to pick up an optical cable today before I can get the Dolby 5.1.

FYI for the last post, I received the upgraded box with a 5 min phone call and not a dime out of my pocket. I called Comcast directly, and asked them if I could get an upgraded box. The service person actually had to search the warehouse for a box. It's not a standard/published upgrade, but if you call and ask they might look through their warehouse for you and setup a free service call as they did for me.

Anonymous
Does anyone know why digital cable boxes don't seem to put out a stereo signal from the coaxil output, like the analog boxes do? I find that very strange. I only have one set of outputs for stereo, so I seem to be faced with the choice of the VCR gets stereo, or the TV does.

Anonymous
To Jeff P and Anonymous, I just picked my DCT 5100 and I see you mentioned it has Dolby 5.1 capability. Is this the same as Digital Dolby 5.1 (what you get when you watch from a DVD)? I can only get Dolby Prologic or Prologic II even with a digital output connection. Please Advise, just trying to get the best sound (surround) from the cable box. Thanks

Jeff P
I have successfully gotten Dolby Digital (5.1) to work through the optical connection of the DCT2000. I'm not sure based on your description, but I think what you might be seeing is that very few programs actually broadcast in DD. First, with Comcast, only channels over 100 are digital. Second, even for the digital channels, the programs on the channel may not be DD.

After a bunch of surfing, only very recent movies (i.e. "A Knight's Tale") on HBO were in DD for me.

I also have a problem with my system. If I switch from a digital channel (>100) with a channel that is not digital (CBS, ABC, etc), the volume levels are totally different, to the point where I don't enjoy the fact that I have to change the volume as I'm surfing.

Believe it or not, I'm actually thinking of disconnecting the optical and going back to RCA stereo based on the volume issues given the fact that I get so little benefit from the optical/DD.

Angie
Hi Guys...

I have Bose lifestyle 12(home theatre)...I would like to connect 2 digital sound output one from Dvd player and the other one from satelite decoder to Bose lifestyle 12. What should I do because there is only one digital sound input to BOSE? Is there any way to do that...please advice...

Thanks Guys

Angie

Anonymous
I have Comcat digital and I'm very disappointed with the sound. The advertisement of "cd quality" is pure horse sh!t!

I do indeed have accurate speakers, so if the signal is bad, it will be noticed.

Technologically speaking, there is just toooo many channels being pushed thru the pipe. When the bandwidth is limited and you have to stuff all those channels thru it, you will have to *COMPRESS* the signal....this results in video pixelation and glaring sound.

Compression is the root of all evil. I'd personally rather have less channels and better quaility. It is indeed "digital" signal you're receiving at home, but remember that it's *compressed* digital signal.

Satellite is no better. Their stream is noted as being slighty worse than digital cable! :=(

The best way to go if you can afford it, is getting a bigger C-band dish for $1-2K. This signal is much purer and more flexible than anything else out there--definitely!!

Anonymous
What is the "quality" difference b/w the heavy/light/none compressed sound on the DCT 2100 (if using RCA cables directly from Box --> Receiver)? I noticed the practical difference is that when compression is heavy, the volume difference b/w non-digital (1-99) and digital (100- 300) channels is not as apparent.

Jay
I too am trying to get dd 5.1 surround out of my bose system from my digital cable..the cable box that time warner gave me did not come with a coaxial connection..i called them and they said they were going to look for it as well...my question is, if it does have a coaxial connection will i be gettin dolby digial 5.1 or just dolby pro logic II? i think there is a big difference in sound so im wondering if its worth struggling for or will it even work? another question is my friend has another cable box from time warner and it has the connection that i want (coaxial audio)...would i be able to trade boxes with him without messing up our service?thank you...please respond

jay
Another question: where could i purchas a K or L series cable box that is compatible with time warner...in the case that they do not have one for me.thank u again please respond

The 2000-series box, if it has a SPDIF or TOSlink port on the back, will let you listen to broadcasts in Dolby Digital 5.1 *if*:

- you are listening to a program that is in Dolby Digital 5.1
- you are viewing a channel that broadcasts in Dolby Digital 5.1
- your cable company supports Dolby Digital 5.1
- your receiver is connected to your cable box via a digital audio cable (coax digital audio or TOSlink) *and* it supports Dolby Digital 5.1
- you have to enable Dolby Digital in the cable box setup screen
- you have to enable Dolby Digital 5.1 for the individual program that is being broadcast in 5.1

In other words, the planets have to line up.

That having all been said, I listened to DD 5.1 Saturday night; it worked just fine. And I'm in nowhere, Canada, with a small regional cable provider.

Anonymous
What broadcast(s) was available for you in 5.1? Just checking to see if I can get the same surround sound.

Jeff P
I am a Comcast subscriber in the greater Chicago area. I was able to only get an extremely small subset of programs in Dolby Digital. I didn't do a ton of testing, but the primary HBO channel played DD for "Six Feet Under" on Sunday night. Additionally, I've watched some HBO movies such as "A Knight's Tale" and gotten DD.

As a heads up, I was not able to get DD for the other HBO channels. "Six Feet Under" broadcast on HBO2 on Monday night was not in DD, for example.

After going out of my way to get the box, it is kinda disappointing that so little is broadcast in DD, but c'est la vie. At least my S-video connection on the box works great.

I watched "Enemy at the Gates" on Movie Central in DD 5.1 on Access Communications in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Anonymous
I work for comcast, ask for the "L" series box when looking for a box with the correct outputs.

Joe
Any one work for Cox? I call and asked if the had a ditigal box with a TOSlink that supported digital audio so I could get 5.1 sound out of my reciever. The said no problem, the service guy can out with the same box I had. He had no idea what I was talking about said he never heard of optical for sound even when I show him in the manual the box had a spot for it. It cost me service call for nothing. Those Satelite dishes are looking better all the time.

qdog
I have cablevision as my provider..When i arranged to upgrade to digital cable, i informed them that i had an Hdtv, and told them to be sure they brought the right box for HD...Technician came, after 2 minutes , he was done...I asked why iwasn't getting HD on my set??? He was clueless, and uninformed that there are 2 types of boxes, 1 for tv's that are not capable of HD and then 1 that is....I can only imagine how many people have a HD tv without the box that supports it..lol....BTW, the hd box hasa tosslink output

I recently purchased a Logitech z-680 5.1 thx home entertainment system and want to hook it up to my digital cable box (motorola 2224-1161). Currently my cable provider, Charter Communications, supports only a 3.1 signal. I tried to get some help from my local Charter office but these guys don't have the first clue on how to do this. As a last resort they did upgrade me to the "Hi-fidelity" box listed above with an S-video out and a SPDIF rca connection (which seems to be a mystery.) I'd at least be happy with 3.1 sound if I could find a way to make it happen. No wonder Charter is 4 Billion (with a B) dollars in debt! Charter wants to sell movies through it's digital signal, can't support 5.1 sound, and has local support personal whom need to be educated in the basics!

Thanks.

Derek
So what happens when you connect the SPDIF to the Logitech? Do you hear anything?

I have never heard of 3.1. That would be something like Dolby Surround plus Subwoofer...

Hey this discussion helped me with getting Comcast to come out and exchange cable boxes so I can get dolby 5.1 optical output . well it took a complaint letter via email thru the comcast web site and 4 visits to my house but they finally ordered one for me and I think it really sounds great . Althought not to many channels offer 5.1 dd . If anyone wants the different box that has that optical output just ask for a digital cable box with s-video and dolby digital on it . Also tell them that it's not for HDTV and be patient because a tech guy will arrival at your place and think you nuts .

MikeMvS
Just wondering.

I recently called comcast and asked for a s-video box, yet got a we do not have them response from the both the lower down phone person and her supervisor.

I have 2 techs come to replace a dead box and get the same old freaking box with only composite out.

Anyway to get them to give me an s-video box?

BTW i'm in the chicago area.

Thanks

I just called Comcast (Boston area) and they said they don't offer a box with s-video or dolby dig. They said since they don't support it, they can't offer it. They only offer a Hi Def box but I don't have a Hi Def TV yet. I mentioned the "L" series like someone suggested but the person I spoke to never heard of it. Anyone in Boston have any better luck with this?

Here is my question: if the audio/video is only as good as the source, does it really matter if the box has s-video out, componet out, or digital audio out?? Will these higher grade outputs really make much improvement if the signal or the programing is of a lower quality anyway??

Derek
Yes they CAN make a difference it depends upon what quality they are sending. If you use channel-3 for your cable viewing, you will never hear Dolby Digital and most likely never see more than 350 lines of resolution. Dot-crawl and color bleeding will also be present.

A. Ciosek
Derek--
To get around the "Channel 3" problem, should I use the componet out on the cable box, send it through the reciever, and into the componet in jack on my TV. I would then be watching cable programing on what is Video 2 on my TV tuner.

ac
Is component of a higher quality than RF coaxial??

Derek
Yes, everything is better than RF.

Anonymous
Comcast just denied my request for the S-Video box. They said "it won't do you any good".

Certainly this is possible, as was mentioned before. I will do a test between the cable box and cable coax through my S-VHS recorder w/ S-Video out tomorrow and see if I see a difference.

Derek
Anonymous, THAT wont make a difference IF you have standard cable. Simply getting an S-Video connection to work will not improve the picture since the source material is based on RF. The tuner in the cable box and the tuner in the VCR are the same.

The true improvement will only be realized with digital cable.

Chris
I think we all have to accept the fact that although the technology is available for cable companies to send a 5.1 signal and equip everyone with receivers with active optical outputs - these companies are so many billions (with a B)of dollars IN DEBT and are holding back as long as possible. As long as they can keep you as a custumer they don't really care about supporting your 5.1 theatre sound system.
I have Charter Cable, whom at least is starting to offer upscale digital receivers, with built-in DVD players, optical outs and a 5.1 signal - but only in selected areas. I's going to be a couple years at least before this is available everywhere.

Tobbe
It beats me but all of the cox digital boxes have "Dolby Digital" written on the front. Yet, the only one (which they dont offer for installation) which has a digital optical output to support Dolby Digital is the DCT 2000. I think that that can be classified as false advertising or falsely claiming that the digital box has something that it does not have! I, like others in this thread, have contacted their cable company about getting a box that supports Dolby Digital with an optical or coaxial output. I dont know why so many people that work for these companies are so ingorant of the meaning of a digital sound. When you ask them they think you are talking about video. I'm like, "no lady I want a box with an optical or coaxial output for sound." She's like, "optical what? For sound?" Forget about saying anything about coaxial because they will think you are talking about the video input.

Here's the latest email from Comcast (the only cable provider that is available to me)....

"At this time it is not possible to get a true Dolby Digital signal out
of the DCT 2000. The DCT 2000 is a Digital Signal "Converter". This
means in receives a Digital signal but it does not transmit a Digital
signal. It only converts it into an Analog signal to be received by
your television or Stereo receiver. The FCC has regulated that all
Networks must begin transmitting their signals in a Digital Format by
2004. As more networks begin adhering to this new mandate it may be
possible to receive a "True" Digital Picture reception. We are looking
into newer styles of Digital Converters that will offer our customers
more features; however, these are still only in the testing and
development stages with no plans for their release."

So what am I paying for?

Dan
Just wanted to add my frustration about the whole non-digital "digital" cable box problem w/ Comcast: A call to customer service made it sound like they had tons of these boxes, and I only needed to bring mine into the local office for a trade. Of course, once I get there they tell me they don't have any and to try tomorrow. The next day, I head back only to be told they have a total of FOUR or FIVE of for ALL of their local subscribers. Pardon my French, but WTF?!?

Anonymous
I am having the same problem with St. Louis area based Charter. It took me talking to 4 different people before someone even knew what I was talking about, and then once I got someone who knew what s-video and dolby 5.1 were, he told me that there was a waiting list for those boxes. Somewhere around 1 year. Forget that crap!!!

I have just spoken to SHAW, and they told me that the DCT2000 is not DD because of the Firmware version 7.44- well if it were 7.45 it would be, so i asked them to supply me with 7.45 at that would be that. But they will not because they have on offer a DCT2500 with DD for $200 CDN. I spent $200 two years ago, for the explicit fact that it was supposed to be Dolby Digital, it has the DigCoax on the back; therefore they lied to me and they are telling me to purchase the 2500, therefore spending $400 in total- THATS FUCKED!! This company needs to restrategize themselves to realize that their customers like me and many many others will be pretty pissed off when everyone wants this upgrade!!! I am going to let the media know about this and the BBB, it is wrong for them to sell the product and then state that they will not be offering software upgrades- they knew that this would happen and they are just hoping that their customers won't realize the difference. I know this is long winded, but there is competition, Bell Expressvu etc and word of mouth is deadly!!! While I am on this subject, anyone know where I can get this 7.45 Firmware/Software upgrade for the DCT2000??????

Anonymous
i have an motorola dct2224 cable box somebody can help me to record a movie ,,i don't know how i need to connect the cables to vcr. or cable box

Anonymous
My Grandparents bought a Hi-Def TV (I have no clue why, but at least I get to watch it!) and I was finally able to convince them to get digital cable with a Hi-Def Motorola Cable Box. Hi definition service just became available in the last few months, so a couple of the channels mess up really bad. Any way, I noticed that the box had a variety of outputs. There is and optical digital out, and coax digital out, S-video, Component, DVI out, and of course the regular crappy composite. Don't mix up component and composite. Component is the highest quality analog signal with the three colors usually red green and blue and composite is worse with the yellow, white, and red cables.

So I ordered a hi-def box for my TV even though I don't have a hi-def TV. I just wanted the spiffy outputs. I live in a slightly different area, and apparently Hi-Def isn't available yet. So instead I got a cable box that looks like a normal old one, except it has S-video out, and optical and coax digital audio.

For anyone who is unaware, S-video definitely helps the picture. The only people who won't see a difference are the people who think DVDs look the same as VHS.

Oh yeah, in my area, you can't pick up a digital box (only analog) so you need a clueless technician to come and give you one.

cchowa
I have Comcast and I am experiencing the same probs with getting Dolby Digital. I have the Motorola 2224 box with the coax SPDIF out and the S-Vid out. The movie and music channels will provide a digital audio signal to the stereo receiver, but most of it is just PCM and not DD. The 2224 has an optional optical output, but Comcast Atlanta doesn't stock it. I'm going to try the 5100 box like others to get the optical output feature. Even if you can't get the DD signal, it is still a remarkable improvement over the analog signal for these channels. One last tip: buy a stereo receiver that can distinguish between digital and analog audio and will default to digital when the signal is present. My receiver (Sony STRDE-995 does this).

OtherDave
cchowa - you report that you're PCM and DD - that's better than us poor people on Shaw systems. I would be curious if that is they way they are set up to operate - PCM for normal stereo and DD5.1 when the broadcast is done as such - much like the majority of DVDs available - you'll notice that during the movie you'll get true DD5.1 but most of the little featurettes will only be in digital stereo (whether or not that's DD2.0 or PCM would require some more investigative work).

Dave - I too feel your frustration - latest I'd heard was from a friend who was trying to get her 2K upgraded to the 2500 as a swap - then the sales manager made reference to some rumors that the software may be made available - that sm just needed to here back from results of meeting recently held. Sure, that's all we need now is Shaw telling everyone that the software upgrade for the DCT2000 will be coming shortly - yeah like I haven't heard that one before

Ty Price
**WHEW**

I feel a little bit better, now. From reading this thread I see that I am not alone in my quest to receive Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound from my (supposedly digital) cable provider (Adelphia).

Adelphia provided a Motorola DCT2000 ... it has places on the back marked for S/PDIF and Optical, but nothing is connected, so my box does not have that capability -- even though it ironically boasts that it is Dolby capable by having a Dolby Digital symbol on the front.

All I need is something to pass through an AC3 signal for my AC3 decoder. My sound system is an S4 Midiland 8200 V2.0 which sports two digital coax inputs and a digital optical (TOSlink) input.
From what I've read, there are certain series of DCT2000 cable receivers capable of providing S/PDIF and/or TOSlink output.

Looks like I'll just have to deal with some of the clueless cable reps -- hopefully there are some knowledgable cable techs out there somewhere -- to get the right box.

I am reasonably sure that once I get a box that has a working S/PDIF or TOSlink output then I am in business.

This situation reminds me of an engineer who once described how the AV-8B Harrier "jump jet" is able to take off vertically ... he said, "seven simultaneous miracles must occur."

Good luck folks ... don't give up and don't give in. Keep pressing 'em 'til you get your 5.1!

:-)

I'm a new subscriber to Digital Cable in Philadelphia. The DCT2000 looked quite impressive when the cable guy took it out of the box. The cable guy told me that the box will eventually replace my current cable modem! WOW, I said, I wonder how much more a month that will cost me!?!?

Needless to say, I seem to be suffering from the same DD5.1 audio problems that everyone else is in this forum. The HD Video looks great on my 55"WS, but what good is it without the 5.1 subwoofer shaking the books off the shelf?

Anonymous
This is Comcast's reply to my inquiry...

"The only 5.1 surround compatible converters we offer are in areas where HDTV is available and customers have a HDTV. We are presently working
on upgrading the system in area and will have the project completed by the end of next year. Thank you for your patience."

How 21st century. Though better late than never...

Dolby Don
I just got a new DCT2224 from Comcast (suburban Philly) for my upstairs TV. I noticed that its menu had a Dolby Digital on/off setting which my current box did not have.

I swapped it with the downstairs box which is connected to a DD-5.1/DTS receiver, but like the previous box, all I was getting out of the coax digital connection was 2-channel PCM.

That is, until tonight when I checked out OnDemand (not to be confused with InDemand) to which Comcast just added HBO. Anyway, this week's episode of Carnivale came through (per my receiver) in DD-5.1. Then after that, ALL of the digital channels were coming in as DD, mostly 2.0 but a couple at 5.1 (e.g. some movies on HBO).

What's weird is that when DD is working, the analog connection does not. This stinks because I would normally leave it on analog so I don't have to explain to my wife how to change the audio input type on the receiver.

The only way to get back to the old scheme (i.e. PCM & analog working simultaneously) is to turn DD off on the menu and go back into OnDemand. It's as if accessing OnDemand is the final "switch" to turn DD on or off.

It's a complicated mess, but at least I know that once in a while I can watch stuff in 5.1.

cchowa
I persuaded Comcast to let me have the 5100 HDTV converter instead of the 2224 with the coax SPDIF out. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Even though I don't have an HDTV, the video signal is much better, especially on the designated HD channels. I now get Dolby Digital 2/0 on all channels (even below 100) and 5.1 on HBO and Showtime East only (I found out this is a HBO and Showtime issue as they only broadcast one channel each with DD 5.1). The 5100 also has an optical out, so I can use my coax input for the DVD player like I am supposed to.

Dolby Don, see my original posting about stereo receiver capabilities. You can solve your input problem by getting a receiver that detects both digital and analog signals from the same component and will default to the digital when it detects it. I know this is a lot of money for a simple problem, but it might be worth it to you. Or, check your current receiver manual to see if it has that capability.

Anonymous, I had to hammer on Comcast Atlanta until they agreed to give me the HDTV box. I really didn't get any results until I spoke with a senior tech manager.

Don
cchowa, thanks for the tip. I think I looked into that, but I'll check again. I don't think it's worth replacing my receiver. Might be easier to try to get a 5100, although the built-in DVR boxes are supposed to be coming in the next 2 - 3 months. I know they test-marketed with Motorola boxes in Va. THe press releases said that Philly was going to get a Samsung box that could be "networked" on the CATV cable so that all boxes could watch shows recorded on the main box. But that was also supposed to be this summer.

I did discover a MUCH easier way to switch the DD on and off. Turns out that if you are on the "info" screen for the show in question, there is a box for switching DD. I guess OnDemand was merely changing the default.

I also found out that I have DD functionality on my old box too. It definitely was not there before so it must have been a firmware update that was blasted to me.

I'm getting 5.1 on HBO East and West. I wonder if the broadcast issue you mention is regional?

cchowa
Don:

I get 5.1 on West too, I think it is just because West is just a rebroadcast of East three hours later.

El Cid
I just got a Motorola DCT5100 from Comcast and set up the sound using the digital coax out to a Sony 5.1 DTS receiver. On the HD channels I get occasional sharp popping sounds. Anyone know how to deal with this.

SRNGGC
Just a thought......What if you split the coax input with a splitter and feed one line to the home theater (assuming digital coax in) and the other to the cable box. Will the home theater decode for 5.1 or does this need to be done by the cable box? Adelphia has no equipment with digital audio out.....in the process of upgrading...just dont when....yeah right.

HELP
I HAVE 2 VCR'S HOOKED UP ONE TO INPUT 1 AND ONE TO INPUT 2. I ALSO HAVE A WEB TV HOOKED UP. I RECENTLY PURCHASED A MOTOROLA DCT2000 SERIES DIGITAL CABLE BOX. IT CAME WITHOUT INSTRUCTIONS. I AM COMPLETELY CLULESS AS HOW TO CONNECT MY CABLE BOX. I CONNECTED THE CABLE FROM THE WALL TO THE CABLE BOX AND CONNECTED CABLE BOX TO VCR input 1. I AM ABLE TO GET A CLEAR PICTURE BUT MY CABLE BOX MENU DOES NOT SHOW UP ON MY TV SCREEN. I CANNOT CHANGE CHANNELS AND WHAT I AM RECEIVING IS FROM THE VCR . DOES ANY ONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN PURCHASE AN INSTRUCTION MANUAL? I TRIED MOTOROLA WITHOUT SUCCESS. IN PAST LETTERS I HAVE SEEN REFERENCES ABOUT RECEIVERS IS THIS A SEPARATE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT OR IS THIS PART OF THE EQUIPMENT I CURRENTLY OWN. PLEASE ADVISE. I AM NOT GETTNG ANYTHING FROM MY CABLE BOX OR REMOTE ON MY TV

I'm trying to figure out is S/PDIF is for audio alone or audio and video. If it is audio alone, and there is only one output jack, to what do I connect it on my receiver which has left and right inputs?

Jesus, all of the posts on this page are right on... I have Adelphia in Los Angeles, and it took me two weeks of many phone calls and emails and hasseling to get them to get me a Motorola 5100 converter box. And it's nuts how many of the cable customer service flunkies over the phone think that their company's "digital" services include digital sound! They are finally bringing me a 5100 from a HD area (not yet available in my area). When he called to book an installation appointment, the installation supervisor said, "Boy it sure was hard to find one of these boxes... There's just not that many of them out there..."

During all of this hassle, when Adelphia told me NO, that it's not possible to get a 5100 box until HDTV comes to my area, and I would just need to be patient, I got permission from my landlord to get a DirectTV satellite...We'll see what I ultimately go with (I am leaning toward DirectTV), but the cable companies are just nuts, thats for sure. No wonder they are in dire financial states; terrible managment, terrible customer service and their product is behind the times and terrible too....!

Winston
Right on, Todd. I feel your pain. It's exactly the same here in Philadelphia.

Rob, I think that jack is a compatible only with a SONY system. It's like a SONY digital audio out jack, so unless your receiver is a sony you won't be able to connect it. That is what I heard anyway, someone please corect me if that is not right. I was curious about that myself...

Greg
I get this popping sound from my powered sub everytime I change the channel when I am watching TV, the same also happens when I watch a DVD and I change scenes with the DVD remote. I currently have my TV service through Bell Express VU and I am using there HD receiver. I thought the problem might be somthing to do with the receiver so I unpugged the receiver and played a DVD and I still get the popping sound when I changed scenes. I tried changing the RCA's from the sub to the home audio receiver (Kenwood) put still the same problem . Could it be that my sub output on my
Kenwood receiver is gone or could it be my sub.
This problem never happened in my old house in which I had my TV service through cable.

Found thread VERY Helpful! Am Comcast user on Cape Cod. Here the DCT5100 is avail if you pay $2/mo extra for a "Hi-Def" set top box. Had to fight with installer cause no HD tv yet. Boss allowed him to install it anyway.
OFF TOPIC - Need pointers to details on how to create a 'true' sterio signal from Left and Right mike when generating a DVD. Also 'standard' usage of the Four channels (hi-fi /L/R) on VHS tape. off line reply to sterio@capespan.org

Matt
This thread has been very helpful. I have a Motorola DCT2224 digital cable box and it only has an SPDIF output, whereas my receiver only has a Toslink Optical input. My cable company says the only converters they have that use Optical Audio are their HDTV converters. I've emailed them about whether or not I can have an HD box without owning an HDTV set, and the costs involved. A slightly improved picture would be nice but I really just want it for the surround sound.

Habs
Hi. I'm just about to upgrade to digital cable in Vancouver (Shaw) and the only model is the DCT 2500. I'm just wondering everyone's comments with it. Is it easy to set up? I'm hooking it up to a rear projection TV and a VCR. I was told this model doesn't allow me to record and watch a different channel at the same time. Unless I watch digital and record in regular cable format and that I'd have to get a splitter for it.
Are you satisfied with the quality?
So I don't have HDTV or DTS receiver, couldn't be bothered. But is the quality still decent and are you satisfied with your purchase?

Matt
A followup to my earlier message. I couldn't find consistent information online about whether or not a SPDIF output meant Optical Audio or Coaxial Digital Audio. (I guess it could be both -- depending on the shape of the plug?)

I contacted my cable system. First, they told me Optical. Then, they told me Coaxial. I contacted Motorola and asked them about their DCT2224 digital cable box. They say: "The SPIDIF is an optical connection and would require an optical cable. The Coaxial Audio would require a RCA style cable."

So is this SPDIF output Optical or Coaxial? I'm still not sure. Is there detailed info about SPDIF somewhere on the web that I could look up? Picturs of the plugs and whatnot?

S/PDIF

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) is a standard audio transfer file format. It is usually found on digital audio equipment such as a DAT machine or audio processing device. It allows the transfer of audio from one file to another without the conversion to and from an analog format, which could degrade the signal quality.
The most common connector used with an S/PDIF interface is the RCA connector, the same one used for consumer audio products. An optical connector is also sometimes used

Anonymous
Found this message board on a Google search. Very helpful. I have Adelphia cable in Los Angeles and use the Motorola DCT2224 box. I went through the same hassle as everyone else.

I recently swapped my old box at the main office for a newer one. It has S-Video and digital optical out. I connected both outputs to my Bose LS35 with a Monster Video 3 S-Video cable and Monster Ultra Series THX 1000 Digital Fiber Optic Cable. The sound and picture is fantastic. I receive Dolby Digital for any channel over 100 and DD 5.1 on select HBO movie/shows as far as I can tell. The firmware version on my cable box is 07.85.

I don't notice too much of a difference in sound levels between DD and normal stereo channels. However, there is a 1-2 second delay in resolving the DD with a subtle snapping or popping in the 5 speakers. Not sure why.

Does anyone know the best audio settings for the cable box? I currently have it set to Advanced Audio Output, No Compression, and Matrix Stereo Output. I'm most interested in what the compression does.

Anonymous
Good link for Motorola cable box compression settings:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/miatasm/HT/dolby.htm

Anonymous
I recently converted to dtv digital cable from time warner. I have an older 27 inch television set and the sound that comes through certain channels is a high pitched (heavy bass sound). Is there anything I can do to correct this?

NCM
The cable in my area (Cheyenne, WY) is terrible. First it was AT&T. Then it switched to ComCast for about one week, then it became Bresnan Communications. I have a really nice home theater setup, but no HDTV for now. I have been trying to upgrade my cable box for months and months and to no avail. Like everyone else who has posted here, no one at Bresnan has any clue what I am talking about when I refer to digital audio.

One time, a front office person brought an installer out to speak with me. She argued with me that there cable boxes have digital audio. I explained to her that it is not possible to get a digital signal from right and left RCA analog audio connections. She tried to argue with me anyway. These people have no clue what they are talking about.

I tried another time to find out to get a box with S-Video and digital audio. Bresnan told me they didn't have any. I know for a fact they do, because I saw one of them one time.

Most recently, I asked to speak with a tech about possibly purchasing my own cable box and I just wanted to know what cable boxes work with their system. They wouldn't tell me. And the front desk person wouldn't let me talk to the tech person myself. She just ran question back and forth.

By the way, I have a Motorola Cable box, but I'm at work and will have to check the model number at lunch.

I am extremely frustrated. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your help!!

Habs in Vancouver
Shaw Cable in Vancouver, BC, is crazy! They provide service only as you ask for it, nothing more. I bought a digital box and had reception problems so they schedule a technician to look at it. But on the same day, they can "boost" the signal so that I can get the PPV Canucks game... It's mind boggling how they operate. A guy at their office can flip a switch so you get full digital service, but they insist on sending out a tech to look at the problem.
What gives with these guys?!!!

Username: Cornpops

Post Number: 1
saskatoon sk shaw box
alright well i stumbled on this site yesterday searchign for my 5.1 surroudn answer and ur discussions helped BUT i got it i know what to do to get 5.1 dolby DIGITAL sound, you need,
1. digital terminal with dig coax or optical ,
2. you need the digital chaneles, ''movie central and ect"
3. you have to make sure that you go into the audio setup on ur dig box and set it to dolby they all coem with dolby switched off, ' to get to audio options just go to the menu and go to set up
4. after that you have to go to a movie chanel taht suports 5.1 and make sure the movie is in 5.1 you can tell that by lookign at the little title screen it will say, DD stero or DD 5.1 and if its 5.1 click the info button and then abover the info there are little blue selection things wich say time , watch lock and since dolby digital is on it will say ""5.1"" WOW ,, now click that withthe OK button and wahBAM! your amp goes to digital and the 5 speaker icon coems on and ur movie is in 5.1

so havign all tha tsaid you dotn need a new box it just has to be equipped with dolby dig, and also make sure u dont make silly mistakes liek not usuign dig coax or optical make sure ur soundis not anolog, and make sure " OBVIOULSY " you have a digital 5.1 reciver . im out

Username: Jasper

Jody: You only need to switch on Dolby with the HT2000 box, not on the 5100 or 2500. The HT2000 will stay Dolby enabled until you change the channel to a non-digital one.

Habs: They hit your box and it works. They did not increase the signal to your box. A tech will come and look at your setup and try and figure out why it went out in the first place.

Dr Lo
Unregistered guest
I just had a Motorola DCT 5100/1003 delivered by local cable company but they had no manual. Does anyone know where to download a copy of the manual? It has a DVI-D connector but the Technician said it was for a future upgrade. How could that be? It seems that if the factory put the DVI-D connector there it works? IEEE1394 connector for example was not installed but Hole Plug is there and labeled. It has everything else,, Optical SPDIF as well a RCA SPDIF, USB, Ethernet, component video, S-Video, so it looks like a good box.

Username: Kooluhl

How do I get the signal for my dvd player to come through my dct-2224 motorola cable box

Cayman Ag
Unregistered guest
Yes, how do I use the input ports on the motorola dct2224 for aux devices (like dvd player)?

Anonymous

I live in CT and the "L" box as Comcast calls it is not available. It took a few calls to get someone who even knew what it was. You may for "digital" cable and cannot even get the services and equipment that goes with it, and my rate goes up effective next bill...go figure. One guy I spoke with said there is no difference between using the RCA connections and getting the newer box. I also invest in an HDTV and guess what, no HDTV channels available in my area. You pay for services and equipment they cannot even provide.

Anonymous

For the person looking for the manual for the DTC5100, you can find it in PDF or HTML format on http://broadband.motorola.com/hdtv/02UsefulGuide.pdf

Dan Moritz
Unregistered guest
This forum was helpful in my quest for a Dolby Digital box. I have Comcast in the Philly Suburbs. I emailed Comcast and they told me to request an L Series box. I called and asked for one, but no one knew what I was talking about. One person went as far as to tell me that it didn't exist! I knew better so I asked a friend who has a sister that works for Comcast to see if she could help. I picked up my box tonight and it sounds great! There are quite a few shows broadcast in digital sound, but not much in 5.1. The box shows a Dolby symbol when you find a digital broadcast and a 5.1 next to it for full surround. All is well...

TCB
Unregistered guest
Boy, hearing about all your successes has made me want to scream at my cable provider. I have comcast, in Eugene, OR. We JUST got our HDTV channels about 2 months ago, and when I saw that, I knew that they would have a digital sound capable box, but the person I called said that the boxes in circulation didn't even have firmware for S-Video! he said that any box with digital outs or S-Video wouldn't even work. Man, I'm gonna call them back and tell them that this L box is available in other places, and I want my 5.1!

Unregistered guest
I just got off the phone with Comcast here in Atlanta and was told repeatedly that their upgraded HDTV box has only RCA outputs and that RCA outputs are digital. I couldn't help myself when the guy told me he was a technician and he knew what he was talking about. Then he told me that even if the HDTV box has upgraded digital output connections, I cannot have one b/c I don't have a high definition TV. He even went as far as saying if I requested a HDTV box and didn't have an HDTV they would charge me for the visit to my house. I couldn't get him to understand that a good receiver can use the digital sound and video signal to create great sound and an improved image. My TV has S-Video connections and this is a drastic improvement over the coax signal. Anyway, I just cannot believe ATL doesn't have S-Video boxes or allow technical users to have HDTV boxes, especially with all the money I pay them each month. Digital cable through and analog signal, kind of a funny isn't it? Anyone know somebody in the ATL area that could help?

Anonymous

I really appreciated the opportunity to see the different troubleshooting solutions folks have gone through with their Motorola digital converter boxes.

Adding my two cents...I am an Adelphia digital cable subscriber in North Hollywood, California. I was given the Motorola DCT-2224 box when upgrading from analog cable. Like everybody else I thought I would get Dolby digital sound decoding via this box, but I was most confused to see the SPDIF out and S-video out plugged out. On examining the audio setup, I only saw stereo options available. No Dolby digital to be found.

The answer, of course, is that the box was intended merely to be a digital-analog converter to enable the full spectrum of channel choices on the digital tiers.

I had to take the RCA outs to my surround sound amp. Adelphia wanted more money for a decoder box that provided Dolby digital sound and an S-video out. Then, they told me they weren't broadcasting in Dolby digital in my area (only stereo) because the cable is not fiberoptic here.

My workaround was this after doing a lot of reading on the net. My receiver is capable of "decoding" a Dolby digital signal. If I see a movie or program is being broadcast in Dolby digital, I turn it on manually at the receiver. It works fairly decently, but I often have to boost the center field a bit when in "surround" mode.

In the setup on my DCT 2224 I turn on "advanced" and "matrix stereo". If those are not turned on, it does not work. There is no "Dolby" choice on this box in the audio setup.

I also sent Adelphia a letter stating they gave me the most wonderful argument as to why a dish might be preferable to their service.

In this case "digital cable" just means access to a wide variety of programming, not digital surround sound output.

With this Sony receiver, there are various methods of processing the audio signal. Music vids sound best on a 5.1 system on a "live house" setting to my ears. Movies are best in surround or "virtual multi-dimensional" surround sound.

If you can't get the correct audio outs on the converter box, process the signal manually.

Anonymous

I was surfing on the net today and came upon this site with folks having questions and difficulty regarding their digital cable boxes.

Boy! I really went through this same ordeal. Like one other user here, I have Adelphia cable in the East San Fernando Valley region (greater Los Angeles area).

I also have the Motorola DCT 2224 digital cable box with coax and RCA SPDIF outs. Where I fault Adelphia is they provide no manual about the box or its capabilities. They told me as well that they were not broadcasting a "surround" signal. I found this not to be true. The firmware for this box was version 07.54. A techie person told me this should "pass through" the digital surround info if present in the signal.

My Sony surround receiver provides two RCA SDPIF ins specifically for this situation...pass through. By trial-and-error I discovered that if I take the outs from the box to those ins on the receiver, I can manually bring in a surround signal, although Adelphia says it is not there.

In order for it to process the L/R content via the RCA, I have to audio setup to advanced and matrix stereo. Otherwise, it will not work and I get regular stereo.

I take my advisory from the content announced at the beginning of the broadcast. If it says 5.1 that's what I can decode. Like the one other user on here I find I need to boost the center field a bit to like the output.

If the source signal is not being transmitted in Dolby surround, either Prologic or surround, the decoder will yield stereo only, even if I toggle into surround mode. If the signal is there, my Sony receiver decodes it....albeit via analog pass through mode.

On our tiers here, for channels below 100 I get stereo sound transmission only. However, this particular receiver will "add" an LFE for broadcasts like this. For channels above 100 I get some level of Dolby digital most times.

Of interest, channel 42, on this lineup is specified as HBO Analog. However, I get 5.1 signals via this channel as well. As far as listening to transmissions of Dolby digital I've found one really has to play with levels and balance. Due to levels of compression, use of limiters or manner of delivery, it is not as dynamic as enjoying a DVD directly....but, it works until something better comes along.

This is all in its infancy and I would imagine we will see better changes coming along in the next 2-3 years.

Username: Bsfromok

Help ??
We got a Sanyo DVD & Hi-Fi VCR Home theater System. We have a Hughes Satellite Receiver. Yep, that's the question. How do we hook it up thur the receiver??

Anonymous

Does anyone know if I use a Insight Motorola DCT2224/1161/ACDEG+ 105-125 VAC 60HZ 35W on Comcast Broadband if it will work.

Unregistered guest
I can buy a Motorola DCT2224/1161/ACDEG+ 105-125 VAC 60HZ 35W and wanted to know if it would work with Comcast. Tired of paying for the rental. It is only $60 but would like to know if it works first. Any help would be appreciated.

Anonymous

TO anyone with a Scientific Atlanta digital box:

please remember to turn off the Dolby Digital output if you're going to use the Analog output. The sound will be really crappy if you don't!!!!

Motorola DCT boxes make it easier to remember, giving you an on-screen reminder to turn it off, but with Scientific-Atlanta boxes, you'll just have to remember to do it.

Believe me, if you're an anxiety-driven Home-Theater enthusiast like me, this simple step may help prevent unnecessary worry!!!

Unregistered guest
I had two ABCDEGL boxes with Coaxial/optical audio
and S-Video outputs. Both stopped working and got
replaced by ACDEG boxes without either. I have
Comcast in the SF bay area. I asked and they put
me on a list and found a ..GL box which works like
the posts above indicate. PCM <100, Dolby Pro
Logic >100, and AC-3 5.1 often on HBO west. S-
Video looks like it helps but could be my eyes.
My question concerns the use of a privately owned
DCT2000 box. Comcast said one may own their own
box and they would turn it on. Another said that
they wouldn't turn it on. And another said that
they would only turn on box bought from them
locally? On the basis of the first answer I
bought a ACDEGK which has the same outputs as the
..GL. But now I cannot get a straight answer from
Comcast about turning it on so I could save the
3.50 a month on the second unit. Anyone know the
actual rules? Before I go Dish or DirectTV.

SHAW GUY
Unregistered guest
OK GUYS ON SHAW, ALL THE MOTOROLA CONVERTERS THAT HAVE THE DOLBY EMBLEM ON THEM HAVE DIGITAL AUDIO OUT BUT YOU HAVE TO SET IT UP THE RIGHT WAY. CONNECT YOUR DIGITAL COAX OUT(SPDIF) ON THE BOX TO YOUR DIGITAL COAX IN ON YOUR AMP, YOU MUST THEN ENTER SET UP ON YOUR MAIN SHAW MENU
CHOOSE AUDIO SETTINGS , CHOOSE DOLBY ON , CHOOSE MATRIX,EXIT SET UP . GO TO THE "DIGITAL" CHANEL YOU WISH TO WATCH THAT IS BROADCASTING IN 5.1,HIT INFO YOU WILL SEE A BLUE TAB THAT SAYS DOLBY TOGGLE UP TO THAT AND HIT OK, A CHECK MARK WILL APPEAR AND VOILA YOU HAVE DIGITAL SURROUND AUDIO. NOTE IF THE CHANNEL IS NOT BROADCASTING IN DIGITAL AUDIO YOU WILL GET NO SOUND AT ALL, THIS GOES FOR ALL YOUR NORMAL CHANNELS AS WELL, SO YOU WILL HAVE TO HOOK UP YOUR RCA JACKS TO A SEPERATE LINE IN ON YOUR AMP TO HEAR NON DIGITAL AUDIO, YOU ALSO HAVE TO GO BACK INTO SETUP ON THE CONVERTOR AND TURN DOLBY OFF TO RESUME OUTPUT TO YOUR RCA JACKS, WHAT A HUGE PAIN IN THE BUT TO WATCH THE ODD MOVIE IN SURROUND , BUT IT IS THERE AND THATS HOW YOU HAVE TO USE IT.IN SHORT YOU HAVE TO HOOK UP THE DIGITAL AUDIO AND THE STANDARD RCA JACKS AND ENTER SET UP ON THE SHAW BOX AND CHANGE YOUR INPUT SETTINGS ON THE CONVERTOR AND ON YOUR AMP EVERY TIME YOU SWITCH FROM ONE TO THE OTHER . GET A DISH.

Unregistered guest
I just got my dct5100 motorola cable box, my tv is 4x3 xbr sony hdtv. Connected a coax to the SPDIF and was receiving dolby pro and dolby digital ok(the dolby digital message kicks on my receiver). My problem is the 2-13 channels were much louder then the rest of digital channels in terms of volume. Anyone run into this or know a way around it???

Anonymous

Greetings,

Thanks to information posted in this forum, I just got Comcast (Chicago area) to exchange my 2000 box for one which does have both S-Video & Optical digital outputs. It took two phone calls & one email to get them to initiate my request. My only complaint is that I still cannot hear the full 5.1 DD audio w/ HBO broadcasts since it is not yet broadcast in my area- only 3/2.1 DD. But it's better than I used to have however. Many of the channels (including the music channels) sound a lot clearer whether they are PCM digital or Dolby PL2. My wife even noticed the improvement. Just be civil and determined when you speak with the representative on the phone. They were very willing to help once the facts/techno babble were sorted out.

-Pedro

Pedro
Unregistered guest
I also noticed the lower channels & analog audio sounds a lot louder than the higher channels I recieve using the optical digital connection on the new box. I don't belive there is a fix though, as previous posters have indicated.

hth,
P

Steve C
Unregistered guest
Dolby !!! I would settle for just plain stereo on anything but over the air stations. I had Comcast digital for a week with there Motorola Digital Settops and had them yank it out and give me back my old SA Analog box. NO STEREO indicator beacon lamp lights on ANY DIGITAL channel. Airwave channels on the box makes it light up like a christmas tree and you can definalty hear the difference. Had 4 techs try before I had them switch it back to analog. Was using normal coax connector between the box and my Sony Stereo TV(no RCA's). I saw a post way earlier regarding this but there was no answer. They are forcing us to go Digital at the end of MAY if we want more than HBO and Showtime. I don't know if I will have the same problem if I go DirectTV. Any feedback appreciated.

Bennysoultrain
Unregistered guest
Well, after reading these posts I went over to the Comcast office and simply exchanged my old digital box for a new HD box. When the guy was handing it over he said "You have an hdtv, right?" I told him no and explained the audio situation. He didn't seem to care either way. So now I'm set except I've noticed the picture to be pixelated when viewing the s-video input. It also has component but I tested it out with my existing dvd component video cable and didn't notice much of a difference with the picture. I have output set at 480i. Shouldn't I notice a difference between the rf and s-video as well as component?
Thanks.

Dallas
Unregistered guest
I have found comcast, Dallas, to be utterly stupid in regard to everything, polite, but stupid. I just upgraded to digital cable and I am now after the same thing everyone else is. I have an HD box coming on Fri. but I have no idea what it will be. Thanks to this thread, I'll know what to look for. More to follow, I'm sure.

Unregistered guest
I work for Comcast of Pompano Beach. The new Motorola Interactive boxes are capable of 5.1DD. As long as there is a digital out (9 out of ten times its digital coaxial.) Some boxes however do have the DD5.1 logo on them and don't have the digital output. Sorry, maybe your local Comcast can provide one of these boxes to you. Here are the setting to turn on the DD5.1 on the Motorola boxes:

1.)Go to "Menu".
2.)Click on "Setup".
3.)Then click "Audio".
4.)Change the "Audio Output" to Advanced.
5.)Leave "Compression" at "None", and "Stereo Output" to "Stereo".
6.)Press "Exit".

Make sure your on a DD5.1 channel. After selecting a channel this can be found in the right hand top corner of the banner guide. This will tell you the type of output the channel has.

Congratulations! You should now see your DD5.1 light up on your receiver!

Check out my site for more help or pc help @ http://www.fromanotherstate.com

Anonymous

i have the motorola dct 2000 i only get one channel that reads stereo and it mtv no other channel can anyone help??

Anonymous

I have got a DCT2524. It is connected via RCA, yet it has digital out. It does not have any sort of DD light.....

Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
Does anybody know if its possible to have the volume controls on the supplied remote control with the HD boxes adjust the volume for the optical and coax outputs? It's too much of a pain to have to work one remote for the channels and one for the volume. Thanks.

Pcraig
Unregistered guest
I have Comcast w/HD Motorola DCT5100 box, using SPDIF coax ($45 Monster brand cable) hooked to Philips 5.1 surround system. ALL channels (HiDef,5.1 or stereo) have a garbley STATIC whenever someone speaks! The system sounds fine when I play DVDs. Is there a way to filter this out, or is it a by-product of broadcasting?

Anonymous

Does anyone know which digital cable boxes are compatible with New York Cablevision. I purchased a Motorola dct2244/1661/acdeg which only powers up with no reception at all. Cablevision offers digital cable through IO Digital and provides a Scientific Atlanta digital box.

Username: Jhaley

I was in Best Buy this weekend looking for home theater equipment and saw that KOSS listed this Pure Path Digital Technology as a feature. Do you know what this is?

Unregistered guest
I have a DCT5100 that gets beautiful HDTV signals but only has PCM and Dolby 2.0. The cable company says they are broadcasting in 5.1. I think it may be a software problem in the DCT5100. Can someone who has a DCT5100 and is getting 5.1 Dolby give me their
S/W version
Firmware Version
Boot loader version.

If you do not know how to access that information post back and I can give you the keystrokes.

Unregistered guest
I am having the same problem with comcast and no digital outputs .i called them and they said the only ones they had were for hdtv.They said if i didnt have one i couldnt exchange my receiver.i think it will work on a regular set but im not sure.does anyone know if it will? also i am trying to record digital music from my computer to a componet systems burner.the only audio output on my computer is a head phones out? any help would be much appreaceated.

vduchld
Unregistered guest
I am also the owner of the DCT2000, and after reading everything from above, I am still a little unclear as to its DD 5.1 capabilities. What I have gathered is that when set-up correctly, that channels that offer 5.1 will produce 5.1??? Is it that simple? The one connection I am unclear of on the rear panel is the one labeled IR. Is this an audio out, perhaps fiber-optical or co-axle? Any info helps

Bronze Member
Username: Mjnoles1

Post Number: 22
Does anyone here live in South Florida and has a Comcast digital cable box with digital audio outputs? I know Comcast now has the Motorola DCT-2524/1612 with the digital outputs but i called Comcast and of course they were clueless if they had those boxes.
SO I want to see if anyone has a Digital output Comcast box and if you do, can I get the location where you received the box and the model number of the box, so I can call them up and get one.

Thanks

Anonymous

Vduchld,

Yeah it is very simple to do

Anonymous

the dct2000 will put out dolby digital 5.1 if the cable co. puts out the signal - when i got my box, it did not come with dolby digital 5.1 set
but when i recently bought my home theatre, i called the cable co. and asked why i can't get dolby digital. they then sent a patch over the cable while i was on the phone with them and reset the box. i then had to go into menu setup and turn dolby digital on (it was never there before) after that, connect the spdif out of the box to the reciever and all the upper channels will come in dolby digital, lower channels remain analog. when a movie is output in dd5.1
it shows it and when you hit the info button on the remote, you have to check the dd5.1 button on by pressing o.k.-it will now be in dd 5.1, it worked fine.

AnonymousX
Unregistered guest
I am just wondering how to turn DD5.1 on in Menu/Setup/Audio menu. I got Motorola 2524/1612 box (Comcast) which has a Coaxial Digital Audio output but in Menu/Setup/Audio menu I didn't see any option for DD5.1, the available options are TV/Stereo/Advanced and DD5.1 is not there. Does Advanced options mean DD5.1 ? Any help will be appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us