Yamaha DVD-C920 Five Disc DVD-Audio/Video/CD Changer Review

Brian Mitchell
This review has been moved to the link below:
https://www.ecoustics.com/reviews/yamaha-dvd-c920-dvd-player/

Anonymous
i guarantee that this thing has 3:2 pull down if it really has a Faroudja (note the spelling) DCDi chipset

Hey Brian,

I DO have this unit (since last December) and positively LOVE it. Actually I have the 6480 which is the identical unit, but who can make sense of Yam's naming scheme.

Anyway, nice review, but a few quick edits.

1. The unit does have Faroudja's DCDi chip which means that it WILL do 3:2 pull down.
2. There IS bass management. I bypass it in favor of the bass management that my HK receiver provides, but the Yam does have built in bass management.
3. There is an a "audio only" mode that will turn off all video functions for more pure music listening.
4. Does do MP3 but it's not the best implementation: no folders, no id3 readout, song ordering is arbitrary.

Other than those two points, the review is dead on. The remote is NOT backlit and that's a drag sometimes (unless you have a universal). What you call "usability quirks" I totally agree with. There is no way from the front panel to skip from, say, disk 2 to disk 5 without skipping one disk at a time. You also mention the full 12 seconds from disk stop to disk play which can be long, it's the same at start-up.

These nags notwithstanding, the Yam is a great box. It is VERY well constructed, dead quiet, and as Brian mentions the video AND DVD-A quality are fantastic.

The 920 (and 6480) were both $599 when they came out last year, they are now $399 and haven't lost a step.

Good review of a great piece of gear!

-h1pst3r

I wanted to purchase the Yamaha DVD-C920 but could not find one at a local retailer. They said it was replaced by the Yamaha DVD-C940 which was an upgrade to include both SACD and DVD-Audio. I did end up purchasing this unit and have not experienced any difficulty with is as a SACD, DVD-Audio, of CD player. However, when I attempted to hook up the component "p" output to my new Panasonic TH-42PA2O plasma TV, I detected "artifacts" actually scattered black pixelation. This pixelation disappears when I hook up the "i" component output, or the S-video output to the plasma. I then tried another progressive scan DVD player and did not observe this phenomenom. Hoping this was a problem with the Yamaha unit I purchased, I exchanged it for another but still have the same situation. Is it possible this DVD changer is not compatible with this particular TV? Or is there something else I should look into. I like the Yamaha because of all its features, but if the progressive scan produced artificats I'm not so sure this is the best unit for my home theater system. Any thoughts?

Username: Noizboy

Post Number: 1
The C940 is listed as not having DVD-Audio.

Unregistered guest
Gail,

Any followup on the trouble you had with the progressive outputs into the pany set? Do you happen to know if there will be a problem with the progressive outputs into other sets too?

Thanks, Tom

dforrest
Unregistered guest
I am looking at this unit but I want DVD Audio. Everything I read says this has only SACD. Can anyone give me the truth?

Anonymous

The truth is the C920 does DVD-A only while the C940 does SACD only.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us